Anything worth buying when travelling to the Philippines?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
CoffeeBeetle

#1: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

Hi guys

My girlfriend is travelling around the Philippines for some weeks and asked me if there was anything coffee related she could bring home with her. I don't really know if there is anything special about the coffee culture in the Philippines, but i suspect someone on HB might do. So if any on you know anything cool or special about their coffee culture, please let me know.

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

No.

I have cupped the coffee three times from greens someone sent me. They were really scouring the mountains for the best/highest grown. I didn't find any of them (all arabica) worth drinking.
-----
LMWDP #339

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

I kinda feared this, from what i could find most of the coffee the produce seems to be Robusta, and the Arabica they grow haven't appeared among any of the roasters i have visited.
Well if the coffee they produce isn't worth drinking is there any particular brew method or something like that special to the Philippines?

farmroast

#4: Post by farmroast »

The Philippines had a huge coffee rust problem many years ago, killed the arabica, They are just starting to try to grow better coffee again. I have a friend in Davao and that southern area of the islands is starting to improve. There is a coffee board http://philcoffeeboard.com/ with some info.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"