Please critique my workflow -- beginner with shots coming out too heavy - Page 8

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
canuckcoffeeguy

#71: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

givemeespressofirst wrote:Pulled a shot earlier, and frankly it was the best I've had so far I think. I loosen the grind one step, 20g in, 36g out. 2 ounces total volume. About 41 seconds. It was fantastic. I'll loosen the grind a bit more based on your recommendation. I'm finally starting to feel like I've got this figured out now. This coffee I'm using is just great as well. I feel like I get a bit more volume out of it for the same mass compared to Redbird. Very complex flavors. Very full body. Enjoying it. Also has the plus of being available locally, so I can swing by and pick up a 1/2 lb or so whenever to make sure I'm using fresh coffee always. Still want to start trying some other roasters elsewhere. My goal is to work my way through the favorite roasters list slowly. Thanks for all your help Ryan.
No problem. You're learning quickly how to tweak the different variables for a desired outcome. It's a dance. All the elements of espresso making have to come together 'just right' for things to work out. And the journey of experimentation never ends. Each coffee is different, and the beans will change every day. And the countless other factors involved play into things, too. Have fun!