Mahlkönig K30 Vario Burrs Jamming - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yatesd

#11: Post by yatesd »

I've never had my K30 jam yet (had it for almost a year). However, it seems like this is just an overload protection feature, that is working normally. I would be more concerned if someone said they needed to replace parts/electronics to solve the problem.

Zanderfy

#12: Post by Zanderfy »

That's a good point which I hadn't considered. However, I wouldn't have thought that home use would bring the K30 to its knees...

Side note: does anyone have experience dealing with moderately-sized clumps from the K30? Granted, it could be the beans (12 days off roast), the volume of beans in the hopper (admittedly too low), or the fineness (1:1 ristretto at 17.5g)...

...On second thought, none of those variables are helping the situation :lol:

Ellejaycafe

#13: Post by Ellejaycafe »

I'm using a k30 in a commercial environment and I have never had this experience. It hasn't jammed it once.

I have noticed clumps in the grinds for the first few shots everyday though. I attribute this to old grinds being stuck in the chute and grinds having trouble finding a pathway out and clumping together. Also I'm in a huge glass lobby and it gets cold at night... So that doesn't help either. I actually get the best results from this grinder with a full hopper and running shots back to back; which is what the grinder was designed for.

I wouldn't be worried about the stalling though... My super jolly does that from time to time and I do what has been said I this thread; back off the grind and then adjust back after a shot or two.

It still might be worth calling Brian at Mahlkonig to ask why it might stall. He's always been willing to answer any questions I've ever had and always super helpful.
LMWDP #544