Cafiza/Deep Clean on Bunn G1 Grinder?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HITS_DC

#1: Post by HITS_DC »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Bunn G1 on craiglist (for probably more than I should have, once I saw the condition on the inside) in order to convert it into a Bunnzilla with the Ditting burr modification. I was hoping someone from the forum could give me some input on how best to clean this beast. Here are some images:

What I am wondering is this: is it safe for me to Cafiza all of the non-electrical/motor parts? I.e. could i submerge the side walls, the coffee chute, etc into a cafiza bath in order to remove the coffee oils that have caked on and built up over the years? Additionally, in the interior chamber, a healthy amount of mold appears to have built up.I'm wondering how I should properly clean that without damaging the surrounding electronics.

Alternatively, I am considering fully re-finishing the outside and painting it a matte black, but would still like to use Cafiza in order to aid in removing the oils. Standard house cleaners don't even begin to make a dent. I've more or less take the entire machine apart at this point, but wanted to seek guidance before I moved forward.

Thanks!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Scrape and scrub. I wouldn't use anything too wet or saturated until I was just doing a final wipe down of the internal case. Maybe at that point a hot steamy rag with diluted bleach or Oxy-Clean, then another clean damp rag with nothing but water, then dry thoroughly.

Most of the stainless can be cleaned easily with Cafiza. the burrs and everything else can be brushed clean or as long as you dry them thoroughly can be soaked as well.

Really, it's not much more than a bunch of time and elbow grease. Pick your cleaner of choice, it doesn't really matter.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
HITS_DC (original poster)

#3: Post by HITS_DC (original poster) »

Thanks Tom. I knew there'd be a lot of elbow grease involved, but I wanted to see if there were any drawbacks to Cafiza. I suppose it's less of an issue if I decide to strip the paint and refinish it... and that may be the route I take while I wait for a new roaster to show up.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Take it apart... you know you want to!
Simple Green works quite well.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done