Comments on espresso made - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BenKeith

#21: Post by BenKeith »

I don't like the idea of shaking like that. That's breaking the puck all up. I keep a small hard block of very hard rubber or nylon on the counter and make several light taps straight down. What I describe more as a vibration more so than a tap. That settles the grounds down nice and even, then I do my tamp. I never shake it or bump it on the side. You should be able to turn the filter upside down and the tamped puck stay in it. I don't do that before extracting, but I did that practicing and learning how.

Just from the video, it looks like the tamp is a little small for the basket. The video make it look like there's more space that should be between them. I'm not sure but I think about .008"-010" is about the most you want. That's seems to work best for me anyway.

Rubenhak (original poster)

#22: Post by Rubenhak (original poster) »

h3yn0w wrote:Are you saying that Even without settling taps there isn't enough grounds? I'd be surprised if 18 grams isn't enough to fill a double basket.
Yep, This is the filter before tamping. There is exactly 18 grams.

Rubenhak (original poster)

#23: Post by Rubenhak (original poster) »

Today I've got fresh beans. Roasted 3 days ago. Same ones. Those turned out to be more towards the medium roast side.
Same settings, same 18grams dose. Stirred with a needle.

Next I tried with slightly coarser settings. It seems like there is a little bit less channeling. Forgot to weight. Will try again tomorrow.

F1

#24: Post by F1 »

Any progress?

mariorainy

#25: Post by mariorainy »

What is your brewing temperature for light roast?

erics
Supporter ★

#26: Post by erics »

I've dosed 17.8 grams of ground coffee in the puck. The output 2oz shot weighted 62 grams.
That is WAAAAAY too much output.

Just to make things simple, dose 18 grams and go for a 27 gram output AS A START. Working upwards, do not exceed a 36 gram output.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com