Quick Mill Andreja Profiles 1 - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sambuist

#41: Post by sambuist »

Jim, I am a new recipient of the quickmill profiles and the pump seems to be over shooting the desired level. I'm sure it is a parameter setting. I sent you a pm with my settings. Could you take a look at your machine and let me know what you are using.

sambuist

#42: Post by sambuist »

i wanted to post how i setup my Quickmills profiles machine to help out any other buyer with getting this machine producing excellent coffee for the get go without to much head scratching.

so initially i unpacked my machine and went through the general setup procedure as per the manual , setting the time,date, temp, on/off timer (all super easy)........ then i set a profile at 9bar and put in my coffee etc and lifted the e61 lever. YIKES, the pressure on the front started ok, but then quickly shot up to ~14 bar within in about 8 seconds. this was strange as the grind worked fine in my other machine (isomac tea V2). tried again and the same thing. ok time to break out the testing tools. in light on keeping this simple i will now bullet point what i did to get this machine up and running, im not expert but this worked for me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
set/keep motor PID settings as same as the manual default

1 - put a pressure gauge on my PF and lock it into the machine. set pressure to 3bar for 10 sec, 6 bar for 10 sec 8 bar for 10 sec. see if the PF pressure gauge was reading the same value as the dynamic pressure reading on the front of the machine - YES but if you dont have this attachment you can skip this step.
2 - put in a blank into PF (take the pressure gauge off PF). set profile to 9bar for 30 seconds. see pressure on the front and hope it goes to 9 bar. NO pressure went to ~14bar, YIKES
3 - open the machine and adjust the overpressure Valve (OPV) . the OPV was ALL the way in so set to max. i backed it off about 3 full turns
4 - run step 2 again and see what the pressure reading is on the front of the machine. ~9.8 the OPV opened up thus this is the new max pressure allowed.
5 - make a coffee at any profile you like and keep an eye on the pressure on screen (mine is 16sec @3bar, 6 sec @8bar, 10 sec @9bar, 4 sec @8bar. YES, it works like it should and follows the profile

testing complete and machine set correctly (i think )
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

so it seems that having the OPV set so high messes with the ability for the QM to follow a profile without overshooting. now that i have adjusted the OPV down to , in my case ~9.8 bar, the motor PID/transducer interaction seems more stable and im able to accurately (within 0.1bar) have the machine follow my profile. so after the initial headache and second guessing my decision to buy im once happy again and LOVING the machine!

its only been about 2 pounds of coffee and 1 week with playing but this machine is easily making equal quality of shots to my Hx with a darker roast but i know that it will outshine the Hx when it comes to the lighter roasts which was always a little sour and tart on a straight 9bar machine for me, even with hotter temp.

i expect to learn so much more over the coming months and i hope this helps out any other buyer with their initial setup of the machine

sam

Advertisement
maxbmello

#43: Post by maxbmello »

Would love to hear more experience with this machine. Strongly considering this or Vesuvius for my next machine.

Charlene

#44: Post by Charlene replying to maxbmello »

Speaking to the quality of Quick Mill machines...

I bought my QM Andreja in Nov 2016 and learned how to make espresso while using it. As my journey down the barista path has moved on beyond the basics and towards the fine art of making espresso it has been a help, not an obsticle. It is as consistent, trouble free and reliant as it can be. I would buy it again in a heart beat. Using the Andreja, a great grinder and great beans, I am enabled to produce among the best espresso I have ever tasted going back over twenty years.

I'm sure you would be happy with either of your two choices as I am happy with my choice. The QM profiles looks like a winner.

d_leonit

#45: Post by d_leonit »

Can you share a video of your Andreja prof. in action?

dvmis

#46: Post by dvmis »

I have just received Profiles before new year and presently playing up with it as well as Peak grinder. No regrets so far but there are few tips and tricks Re how the gear pump and pressure control works. Will post video etc when I think I am getting consistently excellent shots.

What I can say so far is:

- machine is top notch built and feels so solid
- heating up and temperature stability is excellent - also it retains heat for long time so say 2 hrs after turned off might only loose half of the temperature.
- steam is super dry when set to 128 deg C and takes me 20 sec to microfoam milk. Tip: get 4 whole tip 0.9mm from Chris the supplied two hole works but much slower
- during heating up etc machine is super quite in comparison to my former Vivaldi II
- the fact that I can do long low pressure preinfusion and grind so fine with superb Peak elevated my espresso experinace to totally new levels.
- reading Vesuvius manual also helped me as it is more detailed and better writen

Even my wife is impressed!

More as I master and learn further in coming days.

smite

#47: Post by smite »

Please post more details on your experience. Close up shots and or videos of shots would be greatly appreciated. Details on the profiling aspect would also be interesting.

Advertisement
dvmis

#48: Post by dvmis »

Here is the video from another day. 17 sec 2.2 bar then 6.5 and 8.5 for 2 sec then 9.0 bar all the way.

dvmis

#49: Post by dvmis »

Using Lavazza 100% arabica black label beans. Not the best beans for sure of freshest but shot was amazingly tasty. Now I do have Peak grinder and it is making a difference I think.

dvmis

#50: Post by dvmis »

On pressure profiling tracking - could people post their PS setting for the pump motor as I think that is where the trick lies: my one from factory is Kp 6; Ki 1; Kd 95; Acc 1750 and offers 0%.

What I noticed with profiling is: if I prefilll chamber with wattter for 2-3 sec with line pressure I get better tracking when pressure is going up.

I have a bit of a problem that when I want to lower the pressure for the last 6-8 sec if I enter say 8bar that kicks in much earlier during the 9 bar phase then what I do programmed. It's like PID is reading this much earlier and adjusts accordingly. Maybe my acceleration is too high?