Spot more errors in my barista routine [video] - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
IUespresso

#11: Post by IUespresso »

Thanks for posting this! It looked like you were having fun.

What was the general feedback from your patrons?

HB (original poster)
Admin

#12: Post by HB (original poster) »

I do enjoy the chance to server a large crowd and I've definitely improved my drink-to-drink prep times. I frequently heard comments like "This is the best cappuccino I've ever tasted" and "This espresso reminds me of when we visited Italy." I certainly welcome the compliments, but honestly it says more about cafes in our area than my skills. To be fair, there are more good cafes in our area these days (e.g. Jubala Coffee, New World Coffee, La Farm Bakery), but most locals haven't tasted the difference between their "usual" and a really good cafe.
Dan Kehn

gophish

#13: Post by gophish »

I really enjoyed watching the video. Personally, I really enjoy watching the workflow of others, especially with more home oriented or home friendly equipment; it's always good to pick up new tips, methods, etc.

I might have missed it in the video, but were you using the machine off of the reservoir or did you have a flojet type setup?
Versalab

HB (original poster)
Admin

#14: Post by HB (original poster) »

It was reservoir only this time. I topped it off every 30-40 minutes. I didn't count the number of drinks, but I finished four 12 ounce bags in 2.5 hours. The backlog at its longest was around 10 cups. I did have some help catching up from a coffee buddy who stopped by; he pulled shots and I steamed the milk. I'd guess the average drink-to-drink time was 2 minutes. Not really all that fast, but about as fast as the Pro 800 can go, primarily due to its slower steam time compared to full-on commercial units.
Dan Kehn

Ellejaycafe

#15: Post by Ellejaycafe »

It is really cool to see a "home lever machine" go this fast and be able to keep up with that many drinks back to back. I know this machine comes with a PID but did you notice any temperature fluctuations due to speed? We are in the market for a similar lever machine for catering events. It definitely seems to be able to keep up in this video.... I would be pulling shots and my fiancé would be steaming milk. I think with this machine we would really could up with a crowd; that is if the machine holds temp while pulling back to back shots. Thanks for the video Dan! The big thing I noticed was no flush between shots... I understand you had to watch the amount of water you used, but wiping the screen down every couple of shots would have been helpful. And the steam wand hygiene is a little crazy ha other than that I think you kept up well with that many drinks! The key is to not get flustered and just go at a steady pace and not get flustered. I saw about halfway thru you got flustered and tried to go "too fast." Going fast is never good if it compromises drink quality.
LMWDP #544

SonVolt

#16: Post by SonVolt »

I hope these home machines don't get docked in official reviews for relative steam performance when reviewers own and are therefore accustomed to the faster steaming of semi-commercial machines that cost twice as much.

Ellejaycafe

#17: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Seemed fast enough for me honestly. Especially considering he is doing drinks back to back.
LMWDP #544