Nutation woes?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
day

#1: Post by day »

So for a while now I have had quite a bit of success with nutation. I recently tried cutting back on my dose to better achieve a desired ratio, I also put a washer over my tamper to try to force a deeper but level tamp. The washer didn't seem to work, but I started using it as a nutation guide of sorts-to ensure equal depth and force when nutating. I am now finding that the puck is fracturing in a circular way that is reminiscent of the nutation pattern. Just to check it out I went from 14g-15.5 gram (double elektra basket) and I found that if I tamp and then nutate to the exact same depth I am getting the exact same fracture.

Anybody else having such an experience....and is anybody else even doing nutation anymore?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Mabuse

#2: Post by Mabuse »

Nutate at minimal pressure, just with the weight of your tamper and your hand. Do several rotations to reduce inconsistencies in pressure. Use a convex tamper.

Advertisement
Zanderfy

#3: Post by Zanderfy »

There was a post on Barista Hustle where Matt Perger basically apologized for introducing the nutation. It's inconsistent, and can vary wildly between applications. Perhaps start from the basics with a flat tamp, and just compress until there is little to no "push back."

day (original poster)

#4: Post by day (original poster) »

Yea, I read his apology, but it seemed to be more about barista to barista rather than within an individual persons nutation, but that was just my take. I have had alot of success with it at time though, but am going back to a regular tamp for now and just try to improve on getting every shot level. Really was just doing it as a cheat method due to poor tamping instinct ;)

Not that it matters much with my roasts on this SR700 so much worse than my whirly pop...things are getting real now. Never really knew what baked meant until I started roasting on this guy....yikes. On the plus side, a lot of beans to just play around with fun tamping techniques.... :roll:
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

Zanderfy wrote:There was a post on Barista Hustle where Matt Perger basically apologized for introducing the nutation. It's inconsistent, and can vary wildly between applications. Perhaps start from the basics with a flat tamp, and just compress until there is little to no "push back."
With all due respect to Matt, he did not "introduce" the nutating tamp. Heck even I was using it before him. I haven't found it to be inconsistent either.