Artisan glitch. - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
allon

#11: Post by allon »

I wonder if cutting the power/gnd wires on a USB cable would be enough?
The signal on USB is differential which gives it some common mode noise immunity; if a ground loop is induced on the power/gnd lines, you can probably do without and still pass signal.
LMWDP #331

mj05 (original poster)

#12: Post by mj05 (original poster) »

Can I use "data transfer cable" instead of "cutting the power/gnd wires on a USB cable"? Any other way to "isolate" power supply, because on my longer roasting days laptop battery definitely wont last long enough ......

MaKoMo

#13: Post by MaKoMo »

An optical USB isolator, like the Phidgets 3060, might help. They isolate the power source from the USB "client" and transmit the data "isolated" via optical signals (via leds) on their board. On the higher priced USB-enabled temperature meters this is sometimes build into the meter (or its data cable) as is for the Omega 506.

millcityroasters

#14: Post by millcityroasters »

I thought the 1048 was isolated somehow already and as for cutting the USB power, I'm pretty sure MJ needs the 5 volts to run his Phidget?

MJ, if this is a new thing it's likely something changed. Before you order the isolator, the next thing I'd try is another laptop charger and then another computer.

S.

SJM

#15: Post by SJM »

This blog entry at Phidgets (How to Avoid Grounding Thermocouples.) might be useful ?
https://phidgets.wordpress.com/2014/06/ ... rmocouple/

MaKoMo

#16: Post by MaKoMo »

millcityroasters wrote:I thought the 1048 was isolated somehow already and as for cutting the USB power, I'm pretty sure MJ needs the 5 volts to run his Phidget?
No, the 1048 is not optically isolated. Yes, the Phidgets needs the 5V.

ira
Team HB

#17: Post by ira »

I know little about Phidgets, but I've been using Bluetooth for the connection to my roaster for about 6 months and other than one spike for a second on one roast it's been rock solid. If you can use Bluetooth somehow, it solves all the ground problems.

Ira

fixkey

#18: Post by fixkey replying to ira »

how can i use bluetooth with phidget 1048 ?
also can i use bluetooth with TC4 ?