Needed help with grind/dose adjustment

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
imort

#1: Post by imort »

Hi everyone

At first, I'm a new in espresso world, and buy my first Rancilio Silvia v.4 + Rancilio Rocky doserless set 2 month ago.
Of course I'd read all the FAQ's here about dosing, tamping, etc. but anyway I'm stuck just now and need some help.
And yes, I'd recently find and read a few threads about Rocky and his problems too. Did applied 'tape fix', not helped much in my book.

So, I have this problem: I really can't use grind dialing to find proper setting with some sorts on Rocky.

For example, I'm using 17g dose measured with 0.01g resolution scales.
When I set Rocky at 6, it's way too fast and I have about 70 ml. in 25 seconds (counting from pump start working).
And when I have tried at 5, there is 8-10 seconds till first drops in a cup, and 25-30 ml total in the same 25 seconds.

So, what can I do about it?
I'm already thinking about getting rid of Rocky and buy a Lido E for example.

Can I try to adjust dose and grind simultanously? If so, how to do it best?
Try 16.5g at 5 or something like that?

Thank you.

Advertisement
spearfish25

#2: Post by spearfish25 »

You're seeing the challenges of the Rocky and have already answered your question. In your situation, I would adjust the dose to get the brew ratio you want and leave the grind setting at 5 or 6. At 6, a 20g dose may solve your problem. At 5, a 16g dose may do the trick.

imort (original poster)

#3: Post by imort (original poster) replying to spearfish25 »

20g will be too much I think. I'm using LaMarzocco double ridgeless basket, and when I'm dosing more than 19g coffee actually touching shower screen when PF inserted.

Will try 16g@5, thank you.