Grinder for both drip and espresso, budget $400 to $600

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
joesuits4

#1: Post by joesuits4 »

I'm wanting to start grinding and brewing coffee. I purchased a Technivorm KBT741 drip maker and an Aero Press. I plan on venturing into espresso later on. Could I get some recommendation on a grinder that could possibly be used for both drip and espresso, if there is such a thing? My budget is $400.00-$600.00.

Thanks!

leozava
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by leozava »

Are you opposed to hand grinders??

Advertisement
joesuits4 (original poster)

#3: Post by joesuits4 (original poster) »

I would prefer an electric grinder. Guess I'm lazy.

joesuits4 (original poster)

#4: Post by joesuits4 (original poster) »

Would the following work? MACAP M4 Stepped and Doserless Adjustment Espresso Grinder w/On-Off Switch

RyanJE

#5: Post by RyanJE »

Opinion based on my experience.... And I NEVER would have considered this when I started.......dedicated grinders. Get a virtuoso for drip and vario for espresso.

A tiny bit over 600 but you will be very happy for great drip and espresso at that budget.

I learned the hard way on this one.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

RedMan

#6: Post by RedMan »

Another vote for dedicated grinders, if you have room for it and want some ease of use and predictable results.
There's bound to be some trade-offs if using one grinder for both brewed and espresso, ie. single dosing,
constantly changing grind settings etc. In your budget range a baratza vario does both very well, but as is widely reported,
going a lot back and forth on settings has led to frustration for many when dialing in espresso because of the adjustment mechanism.

I'd recommend spending low on a decent brew-grinder and save for a more competent espresso grinder.
And how about buying used? You can find very good electric espresso-grinders for $300-$500.
I found a 99 model mazzer major (83mm flat burr grinder) for about $350 a year ago. It had seen some use but
build quality is very high. All I did was clean it up thoroughly and replace the burrs, 2 hour job.
Actually been grinding mostly for drip coffee with it.

maxbmello

#7: Post by maxbmello »

Another recommendation for getting 2 grinders. Check Baratza's refurb page, and get a virtuoso for drip and a vario for espresso. Should get you in right around $600, and save you TONS of headaches down the road.

Advertisement
tbone53
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by tbone53 »

Yet another vote to plan for a separate grinder for the espresso. Took me a while to accept this because in theory, one grinder ought to be able to do it all, shouldn't it? In practice, it just doesn't work well. One big problem with the espresso is every time you switch back from coarser grind, the retention of grinds in the grinder ruins the first dose (or more) of coffee ground for espresso. No way around this except to waste a lot of coffee by grinding and throwing away "buffer doses".

I think a virtuoso or similar grinder with fresh roasted beans will make an amazing difference for you with the technivorm compared to using a lesser grinder or using preground coffee. The leftover money can go in the piggy bank for espresso equipment (separate grinder and espresso machine) when you're ready for that.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

Eureka Mignon

Any flat-burred Eureka or Nuova Simonelli grinder, except the Nuova Simonelli Grinta, will work, but the Mignon is the only one in your price range AFAIK.

(Eureka/NS have a unique adjustment system that fixes the upper burr and moves the lower burr. This allows a wide range of repeatable adjustments. The Baratza Vario also went with this method, but, unfortunately the lower burr is only constrained in expansion and floats on contraction - so the person using the grinder has to take this into account when adjusting.)

Note, however, that Eureka/NS grinders are over-priced in the USA (compared to EU), and there are better values out there.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Gig103

#10: Post by Gig103 »

A Baratza Vario can do both, and has served me well for going on 4 years.