Modifying Fiorenzato T80 for Small Dosing

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
trombahonker

#1: Post by trombahonker »

Hi there, having seen the Super Jolly single dosing thread, I figured I'd share what I did to turn my Fiorenzato T80 into an effective small-dosing grinder using things from Home Depot. I think the same thing would work for a Super Jolly. I generally keep a couple days worth of beans in there, or about 8-10 doubles (~200g) worth. (Note: This post was split from the following thread at the request of the OP here.)

Mazzer Super Jolly Doser Modification [video]

The hopper is a $3.95 light globe for a pendant lamp:

It's held in place by a semi-soft foam-rubber gasket, found in the toilet/plumbing area (a 3" flange gasket), this was cut to fit the set-ring.

The interior surface is smooth glass, and it funnels directly in to the grind chamber:

Showing the gasket and grind chamber with the "hopper" removed:

The funnel on the front is made from a small track light ($8.95). I used a dremel to cut the grind chute and mounting screw holes, as well as to open the bottom up:

I use a small measuring spoon that matches the chute perfectly to sweep the ground coffee out, then a small paintbrush to finish sweeping:

It's worked well for me and was cheap and easy. Wish I hadn't painted the "funnel" red from its original black, but that's my biggest gripe. There virtually no retention.

Best,
Aaron

turtle

#2: Post by turtle »

VERY nice adaptation.

I always enjoy seeing what other HB members do in the way of customizing their coffee equipment
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

For clearing the hole, I like to use Giotto's Rocket blaster air blower. It's a small and inexpensive hand tool and easier and more thorough than a brush or measuring spoon.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

trombahonker (original poster)

#4: Post by trombahonker (original poster) »

Gary,

You know, I actually tried that! I use one for my camera lenses and it was my first idea for the grinder, for me it created more of a mess than the scoop/brush method. In order to actually get the grounds out of the shoot I was having to "blow" pretty hard and inevitably some coffee would make its way out in an absurd way. But perhaps with more practice I could've figured it out!

~A

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

We're just using different methods. You're right, some dust can blow above the doser/chute. I use a trim brush and small dustpan on my counter to deal with that and wipe off the top of my grinder with a sponge. Maybe your way is easier.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

turtle

#6: Post by turtle »

drgary wrote:I use a trim brush and small dustpan on my counter to deal with that and wipe off the top of my grinder with a sponge. Maybe your way is easier.
What I use to keep my grinder counter clean is a stainless pastry scraper (you can see it in the bottom pic slid under the right drawer) and a double ended brush that has a wide "sweep" on one end. I keep my grinder brushes in the far right drawer so it is all up front and accessible. Open the drawer to get a brush and the scraper is shoved out to use when the drawer is opened :)

The pair makes a fast easy clean up.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

trombahonker (original poster)

#7: Post by trombahonker (original poster) »

That's a good idea! I use a "bib" for my grinder. It seems to keep all the grounds off the counter, and I can just shake it in the sink and wash it every so often.