Help Cleaning Very Dirty Yama Cold Drip Maker

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Wide-eyes

#1: Post by Wide-eyes »

Hey guys, first post here; I was given an 8 cup Yama Cold Drip Maker by someone who didn't use it for a long time and didn't cover anything. There's dust throughout the glass pots and even some tiny bugs in the spiral tubing. Is there a method or a chemical you would recommend I try so I can get started ?

Thanks a lot,

Scott

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

No clue if any of these ideas will work, but here goes.

If you can get the valve out or open big enough for a piece of short grain rice or barley, slowing feeding one of them or something similar while water is flowing may scrape the stuff out of the tube. Heck, coarsely ground coffee might work also. You want something that will make it through without clogging the pipe and that will clean without scratching. Also try slowing feeding a string or carper thread through while water is running and then tying small pieces of cloth to the middle and pulling it back and forth.

Ira

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

I would use boiling water with TSP (trisodium phosphate) dissolved in it. Probably a litre of water and pinch of TSP. SHaking to agitate, then lots and lots of rinsing with cold water.

I find TSP cleans oils amazingly well for coffee stuff and is not scented. When I clean espresso gear, I pour the hot water until some TSP in a boo then dump in my portafilter, basket, etc. And it rinses clean

I got a carton from a hardware store and it has lasted years.

Alternatively maybe unscented dish soap. My dish detergent is labelled non perfumed for sensitive skin.

Be careful with the glass and extremely cold to hot to cold changes though. Might want to let water cool a bit.
LMWDP #603

Bodka Coffee

#4: Post by Bodka Coffee »

What about one of those bore snakes?

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-24011-Bor ... 1RHX9RD_tt

Surely one of the proper size could be found. Might need to trim off the metal bristles though...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

You could also try a long pipe cleaner from a 50' roll or coil, maybe after soaking in coffee pot cleaner.

Something like this: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-clea ... e-cleaner/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Amazon also lists aquarium tube brushes on stainless steel cable to clean out the interior of your aquarium air tube, but I'm not sure that the stainless steel cable would work well with the glass coil.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Wide-eyes (original poster)

#7: Post by Wide-eyes (original poster) »

Yeah, pretty sure I'll need a coil of some variety, thanks for the suggestions!