La Pavoni switch gets hot, melts. - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
grog

#41: Post by grog »

To the OP, I had a shorted element in a new-to-me vintage Cremina last summer. It tripped GFCI outlets but 'worked' on non-GFCI outlets. HBers were unanimous in their advice - it's not worth saving a couple hundred bucks to literally risk death. Thinking of it in those stark terms, my choice was easy. I replaced the element. i also now always test new-to-me machines on GFCI outlets before using. I agree that getting a professional to service this machine is the way to go.
LMWDP #514

OldNuc

#42: Post by OldNuc »

I do not know about the rest of the world but in the USA the availability of qualified espresso machine repair shops and/or people is very spotty and if not in a major city you are most likely out of luck. The northeast coast and the west coast have repair facilities and after that it is going to be problematical at best.

Seacoffee

#43: Post by Seacoffee »

I don't think you need an electrician who specializes on coffee machines. Just a electrician who can test all the circuits.
This is really a very simple electrical device and there is a simple answer. Those of us who have some experience, licensed or not probably know what the problem is but the only public answer is get it to a licensed electrician.

Jay21 (original poster)

#44: Post by Jay21 (original poster) »

Hi I replaced the cord and all gaskets. Its working now almost a week.
I have the factory Pavoni switch.

EDIT, wow was my pavoni miswired!
I followed some bad advice!

I found the correct diagram and its perfect!

homeburrero
Team HB

#45: Post by homeburrero »

Jay21 wrote:Can any one suggest why its light up even when off?
It will do that if you have the live and neutral from the cord going to the wrong side of the switch.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

homeburrero
Team HB

#46: Post by homeburrero »

I should add that if you change the switch wiring and get it wrong you could get some dangerous fireworks when you turn it on. Have someone with electric expertise look at this diagram (La Pavoni Professional Wiring Diagram) and then correct that switch wiring.

Since the switch can go into the base in either direction, the important thing is to be sure the wires from the power cord always go to the two terminals at the outside edge of the switch. The wires to the pstat and thermofuse come from the two terminals near the center of the switch.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

drgary
Team HB

#47: Post by drgary »

Jay21 wrote:Hi I replaced the cord and all gaskets. Its working now almost a week.
I have the factory Pavoni switch.

EDIT, wow was my pavoni miswired!
I followed some bad advice!

I found the correct diagram and its perfect!
What bothers me is you obviously didn't know what you were doing with regard to electrical repair. Several of us gave repeated warnings. You attempted a fix anyway. You're now using a machine we all said could be dangerous.

Anyone else reading this thread please take note. This is what not to do.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!