Steaming milk: hold pitcher or let it sit on drip tray

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JDW_ATX

#1: Post by JDW_ATX »

Is there a preferred method for steaming? Seems like most tutorial videos show the person holding the pitcher, but I often see baristas in coffee shops simply set the pitcher on the drip tray.

I ask because I'm having quite a tough time getting good microfoam when holding the pitcher, but I get good results with it resting on the drip tray.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Take a look at this famous Italian barista. He's known for putting the pitcher on the drip tray and moving along (at a blazing pace) with other drinks/extractions. Sometimes eliminating variables will help someone less experienced. Ultimately, I think it works for Dritan because he's doing a large quantity and will split the entire amount into two vessels, to get to the center "cut" of perfect microfoam, leaving the thicker foam behind. But depending on your skill, it can be done without waste.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

... or in-between: ghostriding the steam wand
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JDW_ATX (original poster)

#4: Post by JDW_ATX (original poster) »

Both of these are awesome! I actually saw that Dritan video yesterday, and it kind of prompted my question.

I'm going to keep trying to learn to do it by holding the pitcher, as it would bother me to not know how to do it that way, but I'll at least be able to get good foam with the drip-tray method in the meantime.

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

TomC wrote:Take a look at this famous Italian barista. He's known for putting the pitcher on the drip tray and moving along (at a blazing pace) with other drinks/extractions. Sometimes eliminating variables will help someone less experienced. Ultimately, I think it works for Dritan because he's doing a large quantity and will split the entire amount into two vessels, to get to the center "cut" of perfect microfoam, leaving the thicker foam behind. But depending on your skill, it can be done without waste.
8 caps, with art, in about 4 minutes. Crazy.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

I do not use a thermometer, so I hold the pitcher while the shot pulls. I know when the milk is correct by the feel of the heat. If you put it on the drip tray and let it run you will need a thermometer so you can see the temperature so you do not over heat the milk. Nothing wrong with either technique, just a matter of what works for you.
Dave Stephens

spearfish25

#7: Post by spearfish25 »

Well Dritan has mastered the timing of his machine's steaming to hit temps intuitively.

But trying to do things like him is like watching Michael Jordan play basketball and aspiring to be him. Great idol, essentially impossible to attain.

Advertisement
Séb

#8: Post by Séb »

Dritan is incredible! I love what he is doing, fast and efficient with style. He is german btw not Italian.

Also probably because of him....I used to steam while holding the pitcher in my hands but since few months i just put the pitcher on the drip tray, place the steam wand on the side with an angle and the tip barely touching the surface of the milk and i start it on place. Then, i can do other things but will come back to confirm the temperature by putting my hand around the pitcher but i do not move the pitcher. Since i am doing it this way i get better consistency in my milk steaming. With a thermometer i would not even have to touch the pitcher but i prefer to use my hand, it avoid the slight delay that a thermometer (analog) have and this is one less thing to clean ;)

Mrboots2u

#9: Post by Mrboots2u »

Get a temp tag on the jug then you can see when the milk is ready - problem sorted

Séb

#10: Post by Séb replying to Mrboots2u »

You mean a stick on thermometer strip? I guess that there is still a delay there? Of course it is easy to find out when to stop to compensate for the delay. I might try that.