Australian Origin Coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ripvanmd

#1: Post by ripvanmd »

Anyone have any experience with coffee grown in Australia? I had some family from down under come to the states and told me about a brand, Skybury. Is it more like Indonesian coffee? Worth the shipping?

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

Can't say they're too well used in the specialty circuit, but the Oz coffee I've tried has been a bit hit and miss... always an "experience"...

Advertisement
Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew »

I cup several every year. About once every 5 years I'll get one with some decent character and no faults, and use it as a "monthly special" coffee. Not one of the local coffee farmers I've ever talked to has been willing to consider changing varietals, non-mechanical picking or anything other than wet processing.

I suspect that it will take generational change to improve things. When some of the current crop of hipster baristas retire to the hinterlands to grow crops other than dope we might see some improvements.

Alan

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

Back in 2001 while attending the Kona Cultural Festival we met a couple from Australia who had a roastery that focused on Aussie coffee. Bought some Skybury greens from them a couple times as a home roaster. As I recall more like a mild Island profile than Indonesian but nothing to really write home about.

I think their bags are pretty cool though!
Mike McGinness