Using previously heated water for brew - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Marshall

#11: Post by Marshall »

RyanJE wrote:Hello,

I searched everywhere and no luck. I am sure this has been asked, but I can't find it!

Is there any reason to NOT use water once it has been heated and cooled? I use bottled water in a Bonavita kettle because my tap water has issues. I like to add more water than needed so the kettle holds temp throughout the brew. Rather than pour out the left over, can I use I again the next day without negative impact on taste?
Previously heated (and especially previously boiled) water will lose a lot of its oxygen. If you want to save money on bottled water by reusing it, put it in a sealed bottle or jar and shake it vigorously. [Tip from my wife, the water treatment chemist.]
Marshall
Los Angeles

Nick Name

#12: Post by Nick Name »

Marshall wrote:Previously heated (and especially previously boiled) water will lose a lot of its oxygen.
I once read from somewhere that oxygen "carries" the tastes to the tongue, or from another source: oxygen helps your tongue to taste the coffee (ie: your tongue needs oxygen to taste), or something like that anyhow. Thus you shouldn't boil the water...

Is there any thruth to that, I would not know. I only do what seems (or tastes) good to me. :P

RyanJE (original poster)

#13: Post by RyanJE (original poster) »

All of the sudden a slew of info! Nice..

I will try the "re-oxygenation" method with shaking in a bottle. Doubt that's a word though!
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

aecletec

#14: Post by aecletec »

The re-oxygenation process is so slow it won't recover overnight?

Marshall

#15: Post by Marshall replying to aecletec »

I don't know what you mean.
Marshall
Los Angeles

aecletec

#16: Post by aecletec »

Well, the initial post asks about reusing water the next day - is the process of oxygen recovery so slow that it requires shaking the next day?

Marshall

#17: Post by Marshall replying to aecletec »

Yes. It is a very slow process.
Marshall
Los Angeles

aecletec

#18: Post by aecletec »

That's really interesting, thanks!