Gaggia MDF dosing tips

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sanity

#1: Post by Sanity »

Hello all, long time lurker but first time poster. Several months back I decided to get into the home espresso game and picked myself up a Gaggia Classic and Gaggia MDF (on considerable sale). Love my classic but I wish I dropped the extra bill for a Rancilio Rocky.

Anyways, just wondering if any of you clever people who also stumbled into an MDF have figured out a consistent dosing technique.

My biggest problem with the doser is how little clearance there is between the portafilter holder and the doser. I like to slightly overfill my basket and level off at the top and I find the lack of clearance above the portafilter sometimes packs the grounds slightly giving inconsistant tamps and thus inconsistant pulls. MY solution thus far has been to dose onto a paper plate ( :roll: ) and then dump those fluffy grounds into the basket myself, allowing me to level consistently.

If anyone has opinions, has a better technique, or is just looking for a technique themselves and is helped by this please post up.

Looking forward to finally participating in this wonderful community. :D

day

#2: Post by day »

My tips:
1. Cut off the finger gaurd
2. Rdt espresso grinds range
3. Drain washer or large washer mod for stepless.
4. Anti static brushes
4-2. Grind while using doser-turn off-brush chute turn gronder back on/off-brush-turn back on/off-brush (tilt and bang as necessary.
5. Small measuring cup or other vessel that can fit under forks, is wide, and has a good spout.
6. Oe dosing funnel
7. Wdt implement

Don't lament the rocky-not a major improvement from what I understand. Save up for a Pharos if in low income bracket;)

http://reviews.chefscatalog.com/8855/30 ... eviews.htm perfect as the smallest fits ON TOP of the forks but has plenty of room for a shot and covers the doser whole-but no longer produced.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Sanity (original poster)

#3: Post by Sanity (original poster) replying to day »

You are amazing, thank you!

I was already considering the stepless mod and was wondering if removing finger guard was worthwhile. I'll have to Google the rest that I'm not familiar with.

As for lamenting the Rocky, I knew the burrs weren't much improvement but doserless looked so nice. But hopefully with a few mods I can fully appreciate the nice burrs I already have. And definitely not looking to stay on the budget side later on if it makes any difference, went with the classic + mdf for my first set up as intro level. Just want these to last me a few years before I look at investing in the big boy toys.

Thank you again, I'm going to start looking at all of those now that I know my options. :mrgreen: