Cold Brew Process - Discuss and Learn

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
johnhoward

#1: Post by johnhoward »

Hello Everyone

I'm trying to learn about Cold Brew Coffee and there are something i don't really understand

1. Is there are any size of grinding or roast level could be the best for it? Ex: Fine or Medium? City+ or Full City
2. What is the purpose of brewing that way? i was tried to make it and it taste softer than Americano or Lungo, really low acidity, more likely to be for summer like a kind of beverage. Does it right? :?
3. Any note or suggestion about Cold Brew? :D
4. What do you think about Boyle's Dutch Coffee? Anyone use it before? :mrgreen:

Thank you so much! I'm from Vietnam so my English not really well, if there are any mistake pls forgive me!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

For most cold brew immersion or drip coffee recipes, you'd use a fairly coarse grind of coffee as these methods will have a very long contact time with the water. The coffee roast will depend on what flavors you want to get, chocolaty flavors or more fruity flavors. I lean more towards doing flash brew where you do a pour-over coffee prep with hot water into an ice bath, cutting the recipe down to compensate for the added ice. I like to use just enough ice to cool the coffee down quickly, capturing it's brighter, fruity or floral notes, but not leave a lot of ice left. The cold process coffees tend to favor the chocolaty and lower tones in coffee and sometimes can taste muted, but they are enjoyable and refreshing served cold. Here's my cold coffee recipe collection:

Iced Coffee Recipes

1. Shakerato
130 g ice
double espresso
1/2 oz simple syrup
Shake

2. Iced V60-01 (Beta)
14 g coffee
140 g water
60 g ice

3. Kalita 340 Double batch
24 g coffee
210 g water
140 g ice split between 185 & base

4. Kalita 340 (155 on 185)
14 g coffee
140 g water
60 g ice in 185 filter

5. Brazen iced coffee recipe v3
60 g coffee
550 ml water
340 g ice (~14 tray cubes)

6. Iced Kalita by Paul Yates ‏@PaulCoffeeFreak
45g coffee
300g ice,
420g H2O,
finer grind,
200F.
Scout's Honor from Handsome Roasters http://instagr.am/p/OFR_gjC8qr/

7. Iced Kalita Scaled Down
22 g coffee
140 g ice
220 ml water

8. Single Serve Iced Aeropress
14 g coffee
100 g water
70 g ice (~3 tray, ~4 automatic maker ice cubes)

9. Iced Chemex
40 g Coffee
283 ml Water
196 g Ice (~8 tray cubes)

10. Double "Alcatraz" Iced Chemex
80 g Ethiopian Chelektu Yirga Cheffe
566 ml Water
392 g Ice (~16 tray cubes)

11. Single-Serve Cold Process Aeropress
10 g coffee
150 ml cold water
1 ice cube
Soak in 8 oz Jelly Jar for 3 hours
Filter through APl

12. Bruer Cold Drip Hot Bloom
50 g coffee
100 g hot bloom
300 g ice
300 g cold water

#recipe #coffee
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

The grind for flash brew would be your normal pour-over grind or maybe a bit finer if necessary since you'll be pouring less water through.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

johnhoward (original poster)

#4: Post by johnhoward (original poster) »

Really Impressive, Thank you so much! :wink:

I wonder, with your collection like that, so you are using a Halio Pour over to make cold brew, and the whole process are just like normal? just about 5-10 mins? and you put iced in the bottom pot? let the coffee dripping on iced cold?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

My favorite flash brews are the Kalita 340 and the Iced Chemex (usually made with a metal Kone filter) if I'm looking for a larger batch. I bought a Bruer cold drip coffee maker that I use about as much, it takes longer and I don't quite enjoy the results as much, but I still enjoy it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

johnhoward (original poster)

#6: Post by johnhoward (original poster) »

with Iced Chemex, does ice increase the acidity flavor of the coffee?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

It does increase or rather preserve the acidity of the coffee, that's probably why I like flash brew because I like to preserve the acidity of the coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272