Single dosing: home brew containers - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RedMan

#121: Post by RedMan »

Yes, good point. I've never made anything from wood I cut down myself before so thought about drying/seasoning,
but not sure how to know or find out when it is ready to use for something like this.
It is all cut up in 1 - 3 meter logs and been lying 2 weeks outside on a patio, may has been sunny and dry here so far.
Is it enough to just hit logs together and listen for a sort of 'light' and 'hollow' sound to know it is dry enough? :-)

9Bar

#122: Post by 9Bar »

I'll jump in here since I do a lot of woodworking (instrument building). Without going into crazy detail, wood, slabbed and stacked with airspace between layers is generally accepted to dry at a rate of 1 inch per year. Yep, per year. So the reality is a split log can remain quite wet inside for years and years. More than half the weight of a cut log can be the water in it! But that "quite wet" is relative to its use. For wood to be stable and ready for woodworking - furniture, etc., it's generally accepted that the wood that has reached around 7% moisture content measured with a moisture meter. I wouldn't be too awful concerned with what you've done here. But it really is quite likely to warp or bow and perhaps not sit flat after a while. Worst case would be that it will grab your vials and not let 'em go. Just keep an eye on it.

Advertisement
nickw (original poster)

#123: Post by nickw (original poster) »

Yup, Rod said it. I'll just add a few things.
And as he said, it will warp with time. Depending on how bad it is, you could sand it flat later. I think the bigger danger is, tubes can break them (not just pinch). Some people with the LW bean cellars reported breakage from shrinking.

It is possible to speed up drying (such as with a kiln). You can mill the lumber in slabs (Alaska mills are cheap), 1", 2", 3" being common (usually stated as 4/4 [four quarters], 8/4, 12/4). Or you might be able to find an someone on craigslist with a small mill to help you (should be cheap). You can also construct a small solar kiln outside using some poly, which you can put the slabs into. You can speed things up by drying them the house (do a bug check first!). I've heard 1" per month indoors. Sealing the ends would help (wax, or a paint) reduce checking. So you have options.

RedMan

#124: Post by RedMan »

Thank you for sharing info and tips guys, very helpful. I need to let it rest for much longer than I thought.
Will look into ways of trying to speed up the process, maybe cut some down to suitable sizes and hang indoors.

sarends

#125: Post by sarends »

nickw encouraged me to try this method to simplify single dosing workflow and I really like it. Why?

1) I enjoy the morning drink preparation more when I can focus a little more on drink preparation (and not weighing)
2) I find that I don't mind the weighing process when I can weigh out a bunch of doses all at once.
3) I open a pound of coffee (usually frozen) and fill these 12 tubes with 18g for a total of 216g. The remainder immediately goes into a Mason Jar and back in the freezer, for freshness.

Specs = Each tube is 1"x6" or 25x150mm and I am filling with 18g. I did have to trim some of the corks so they would not bump into the beans.

I have to say I really love this simple workflow change!

NBA

#126: Post by NBA »

How do you deal with grinder retention and these? Don't you lose a few grams lowering your actual dose?

Great project and work!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#127: Post by yakster »

Teaser from Instagram.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272