What's Your Charge Temperature? - Page 13

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#121: Post by Boldjava »

Ladrex wrote:...
In artisan my lowest turning point I've been able to achieve is 113*C.
I view turning point as more of a data point than a roasting target.
With a drum capacity of 1kg I dropped 575g at 170*C...
I think you might benefit by doing full 1K charge rather than 575g. Partial charges will bring back less consistent/accurate thermocouple readings.
Each progressively longer 1)12:00, 2)13:30, 3)15:45.
The 15:45 drop seems excessive long, in my opinion.
How do others with drum roasters approach heat and air adjustments in the context of the 50/25/25 targets? Are there specific times that are better for these adjustments and what amounts do you adjust by at what points in the roast?
This is rather machine dependent. Soft air during drying, mid air during caramelization, and high air during development.
-----
LMWDP #339

Ladrex

#122: Post by Ladrex »

Boldjava wrote:I view turning point as more of a data point than a roasting target.
Yes agreed. What I was trying to say that in order for me to hit 100*C at 3 minutes my TP would need to be below 100*C and since my lowest has been 113*C I'm not sure I can achieve that.
However, I will try a full load 1kg as you suggest. So I'll see how that will change things. I think I'll need to up the drop temp by 10-20*C if my batch is going up in size nearly 50%.

endlesscycles

#123: Post by endlesscycles replying to Ladrex »

You fly blind until a bit past the TP.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

archgetty

#124: Post by archgetty »

JK wrote:Anyone ever take Boot's $499 coffee course?
Just wondering if someone that took the course has an opinion on it..
$500 is a lot of beans :)

You get what you pay for: yes, the freebies are useless. But the BootCamp course is OK and the CoffeeCourses is much better. (https://coffeecourses.com/) Lots of useful practical information on lots of topics. Helped me a lot and was worth the money.
~Arch

JK (original poster)

#125: Post by JK (original poster) »

Thanks Arch,
I was wondering if it was worth it..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

9Sbeans

#126: Post by 9Sbeans »

endlesscycles wrote:You fly blind until a bit past the TP.
Looking out of a window, there is a tree. If we turn our head away from this window, we couldn't see this tree. The question is, is the tree still there while we are not watching?

Do we really fly blind if we don't have precise BT reading in the first couple minutes of a roast? Or, "it" must be there. :lol:

Batch coffee roasting; roasting energy use; reducing that use
Henry Schwartzberg