Freezer beans with lever machines - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rittem1

#11: Post by rittem1 »

dominico wrote:My "freezer beans" and lever machines play rather nice together, I've never had an issue.

I store my beans in sealed mason jars in a chest freezer.
me either. One thing I have noticed is a need to tighten the grind a tad when using beans right from the freezer. I RDT even though I probably don't have to, but that is probably because I don't let them come anywhere near room temp before grinding. My LP Pro is quite happy with freezer beans
LMWDP #517

Mrboots2u

#12: Post by Mrboots2u »

JFDUP wrote:I'm not sure why, but that's what I've read.
Machine delivers pressure at a temperature it doesn't know if the beans are frozen or not . The beans don't know if they are in pump or lever machine . Not everything you read is always fact :)

nickw

#13: Post by nickw »

I'll echo others comments. With proper care taken, I haven't had any issue's with freezing beans, on any of my set ups. Which includes a variety of lever and pump machines.

Edit. added info below.

DavinG

#14: Post by DavinG »

Since using air scape canisters to store my beans I haven't had to freeze my beans. I found the air scape keeps the beans fresher for double the amount of time of being stored in regular containers or even in the freezer.

nickw

#15: Post by nickw »

Here's what I do:
I freeze them fresh (usually 2-4 days post roast) in jam jars. Typically 5 doses per jar. Pull them 3hrs-1day before use. In this way I always have a variety of coffee on hand.

Typically I would consume within 3months of freezing, but others report finding year old coffee with no detrimental effects. With care taken in freezing, I personally haven't observed a noticeable taste/quality drop over freshly roasted coffee (or I would stop). If anything it's better, as I'm always drinking my coffee in it's peak range. Note: Typical 8-10 day post roast decline observed as per fresh coffee.

I make little labels up which contain all my info. Here's one as an example:
Note: 49th Parallel is default, so if I don't label the roaster, I know it's 49th. Otherwise I include.

Edit: My girlfriend helps me portion and freeze everything. I just noticed her note :)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

DavinG wrote: I found the air scape keeps the beans fresher for double the amount of time of being stored in regular containers or even in the freezer.
What kind of time are you talking about? My vacuum sealed & frozen roasted coffee stays good for 3-4 months or longer?
LMWDP 267

Nonineto

#17: Post by Nonineto replying to JohnB. »

Your comment here may convince me to experiment. I have read many articles pertaining to freezing fresh roast. Regardless of what I freeze, I always vacuum pack to eliminate the chance of any escape. I normally freeze fresh homemade tomato sauce we use when eating pasta. I do not vacuum pack the sauce but rather pour into a plastic container and consume within 2 weeks.
I'm a bit surprised that your beans are fresh up to 3-4 months and beyond but i am willing to try this.

Yesterday I purchased 3/4lb bag of big bro for $18 and would have loved to grab the 5lb for $100.

Marcelnl

#18: Post by Marcelnl replying to Nonineto »

Not sure if already mentioned but there is a difference in what freezer you keep the beans, a regular freezer storage comp over a fridge is not the place where you can keep stuff long but in a decent freezer you can keep beans for quite a while without detrimental effects other than that I think the beans age a bit faster (not tested nor proven)
LMWDP #483

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

Nonineto wrote:Your comment here may convince me to experiment. I have read many articles pertaining to freezing fresh roast. Regardless of what I freeze, I always vacuum pack to eliminate the chance of any escape. I normally freeze fresh homemade tomato sauce we use when eating pasta. I do not vacuum pack the sauce but rather pour into a plastic container and consume within 2 weeks.
I'm a bit surprised that your beans are fresh up to 3-4 months and beyond but i am willing to try this.
This morning I pulled a shot with some Redbird Sweet Blue roasted 8/17/15 & vacuum sealed/frozen in pint canning jars 5 days post roast. Used right out of the freezer the 18g dose was ground at the same K10 setting I'm using for much newer roasts using the same dose. Pour was a bit slow so I could have coarsened up the setting some. Result was the same very creamy, spicy dark chocolate shot I've been getting since it arrived.

As for tomato sauce my wife puts up several batches late summer/early Fall from our garden tomatoes. This gets frozen in sterile qt canning jars & we use it throughout the Winter.
LMWDP 267