La Pavoni Europiccola vs. Pro

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ardijan

#1: Post by Ardijan »

Hello everyone.

Initially I was thinking about buying something between a La pavoni Europiccola or a Puccino. But now I decide to have a lever machine.

However I need to know if the price difference for a Pro is worth?! I can have a La Pavoni Europiccola for 379$ and a Pro for 529$, 150$ of difference!

Which one can allow me occasionally to have 4 cups of espresso in a row? (2 cups a Time)

And which one allow best froth for the milk, for 1 or two cappuccino a Time ?

Thank you :)

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I would get the larger boiler. Anyway you use it, you will have to fill it less often.

day

#3: Post by day »

A proper pressure gauge and adapter will run you around 75 and be necessary really. It also won't look as good. So really I would say it is 75 dollars for a larger boiler....up to you on that point. If it's not a big deal I say it is worth it. Both of them will be sufficient for your needs, but the 8 does run out pretty fast, but is fast to refill.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm replying to day »

On the plus side of the smaller boiler, it heats up faster. I am not a pressure gauge fan unless it has a pressurestat then I would make sure to get one. You can cool down a non professional fast and refill with a kettle for quicker turnup. You'll be fine either route.

Ardijan (original poster)

#5: Post by Ardijan (original poster) replying to forbeskm »

Can I have 4 Espresso with a Europiccola? How much I have to wait for cool down?

In the end, the steam is the same or with a Professional I can have more power for best microfoam??

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

forbeskm wrote:On the plus side of the smaller boiler, it heats up faster. I am not a pressure gauge fan unless it has a pressurestat then I would make sure to get one. You can cool down a non professional fast and refill with a kettle for quicker turnup. You'll be fine either route.
I had a Pro, and bought it thinking it would be able to handle the occasional crowd I get. It says it's a Pro model. But I discovered it really wasn't up to doing a crowd without a serious amount of technique to keep the head temp in range AND reload with more water AND still be able to have a conversation with everyone. I'm sure Dr Gary could host a crowd of 30 with a LP Pro with everyone getting their drinks with Charbucks cadence, but I couldn't.

What I actually did with it 99% of the time was to pull drinks for the wife and I. The Europiccola would have been a better fit for us and that mission.

#7: Post by Ardijan (original poster) »

I Need to know if the water in the Europiccola is enough for doing 4 espresso in a session (I Imagine that I need to pull the lever twice to have 2 espresso a time) and sometimes milk frothing too?
Is the pressure gauge really helpful?

Thank you all :)

forbeskm

#8: Post by forbeskm replying to Ardijan »

The pressure gauge is helpful if you have a pressurestat based machine otherwise I'd say no as the spring on the pressure relief is not really adjustable without shims that you can find on the ultimate thread. I have used the la pavoni's for years without a gauge.

I do two lattes , espresso and milk steaming from my 74, bottomless portafilter , elektra basket from stefanos and 17grams, giving roughly 38-40gram shot, I pull the lever only once. Then steam, does that fine, if I want a third I usually cool quick and refill. If I was just pulling shots and not steaming, three shots would be fine with single pull. Lots of threads on here covering flavor of second pull and weight of shots.

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

If you are at all concerned about pulling enough drinks for four people I agree with others' recommendations to get the professional, which will have a pressurestat and pressure gauge. Third generation will be easier to keep in temperature range but all can be managed if you use temperature strips on the group.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#10: Post by Ardijan (original poster) »

Thank you all very very much! You have enlightened my choice :)