Astoria Junior for Home Use - Awesome, Overkill or Outdated?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tomterry

#1: Post by tomterry »

I'm looking at several options for used commercial machines - single group. One machine that tends to stand out (and is relatively inexpensive) is the Astoria Argenta Junior. With a little bit of work (or a lot), I can realistically have a full commercial machine for the price of a Silvia.

My concerns:
  • Older machine - is technology comparable with the current offerings? Is it outdated?
  • Large boiler that wastes energy compared to smaller and more efficient machines
  • Likely unknown condition as buying it used and can only go by pictures and verbal confirmation it works. However, I hear its an easy machine to work on.
I realize that I will need to plumb and most likely modify electrical for 20A service. What do you think of this type of machine in the home? Overkill or Awesome?

Thanks for letting me borrow the big brains on this site!

edschlukebir

#2: Post by edschlukebir »

I can't speak on the specific model you are talking about, but I think it is both awesome and overkill. This is the first real machine I have had. I live in Houston, TX so it lives in the garage. I don't think I would want it in the house. If it was a single group though that might be different. I have rebuilt almost everything on it. It was a fun project. I learned a lot about espresso machines but I am also about ready to move on to something that is a little more suited for home use.

tomterry (original poster)

#3: Post by tomterry (original poster) »

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like it was a great experience,

I'm definitely looking for a project. I think rebuilding a commercial machine would be a ton of fun.

That said, once the machine is back to manufacturer spec condition -- will it provide the same level of quality as a new machine. In other words, what am I sacrificing in the cup (if anything) by going with an older commercial machine vs newer machines? Clearly the home machines are more efficient and smaller. However, the larger size should provide more temperature stability.

Really wondering about the downside -- what am I giving up vs waiting to buy a newer machine?

edschlukebir

#4: Post by edschlukebir »

I just realized the picture didn't get added. Obviously it doesn't have a few features like pre-infusion or temp control that some of the newer ones do. But I have had enough to worry about trying to figure out grind dose and tamp. So I haven't felt like I was missing a lot. None of my friends and family are complaining.

How particular are you about coffee? I am by no means an expert but aside from the real top cafe's in the area, I am much happier with what I make at home. It is likely that I am as much the limiting factor as the machine.

#5: Post by tomterry (original poster) »

Locally, I found a Astoria Junior and Mazzer SJ for sale for $1000. Just wanted to validate that this is a pretty good deal and fairly low risk.

I'll make sure both work obviously. However, would my $1000 be better spent on new equipment? Or other easy to find used gear?

Thanks so much!

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee replying to tomterry »

I'd call it an "ok' deal. Unless in immaculate condition I'd offer $700 and go from there.
Mike McGinness

#7: Post by tomterry (original poster) »

Thanks Mike, really helpful advice.

MariaCoffeeLover

#8: Post by MariaCoffeeLover »

$1000 seems a bit too expensive imo

#9: Post by tomterry (original poster) »

If $1000 is a bit expensive... What do you think each component is worth?

Mazzer SJ $300-400?
Astoria Junior- $400-500?

What is the going rate?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by jwCrema »

I'd put both machines at the low end of the range you gave. Mazzer SJ's come up @ $300 frequently. We assume working equipment with no major flaws. And new in the box condition commands a higher price.

The biggest problem is the best deals come up for sale just after you bought.