La Pavoni - turning off machine when pulling - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dominico
Team HB

#11: Post by dominico »

I have that problem at the office on my cremina. I also have a naked arriving next week. In the meantime I pull the shot, set the cup on the scale and tare it. Then I drink the shot and put it back on the scale. The negative value is the weight of the shot.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

JFDUP (original poster)

#12: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Just puiled a nice looking shot of 16.1 g of beans resulting in 22 g of coffee. I'd like to be closer to 30, but that would probably involved losing a lot of quality in the cup I'm sure..

[creative nickname]

#13: Post by [creative nickname] »

So long as you fill the chamber and lower the lever past the fill-point before you turn it off, you shouldn't be losing any volume in your shots. On the other hand, if your boiler isn't fully up to temp when you pre-infuse you will definitely get a smaller volume shot. I find this works best with a two-switch machine, started from a fully cold state: Flip it on to massimo, get everything ready, wait for it to get up to full pressure, preinfuse once it hits your target temp, and then switch it off as you start to pull the shot. You can get balanced shots of quite darkly roasted coffees using this method.
LMWDP #435

AZRich

#14: Post by AZRich »

Hi guys -
I don't understand how turning off the machine when you start the pull would have any discernible effect. Am I missing something? On my 2009 LP Pro the primary water introduced to the brew chamber occurs just at the very top of the lever raise and is quickly shut off as soon as the pull begins. Once incoming water is shut off there is only a small metal area (the round connecting neck) to directly transfer or remove any heat between the boiler to the brew chamber. I find it hard to imagine that in the 30 +/- secs of a pull that a small drop in boiler temp could have any effect on the shot temp? I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it just doesn't seem reasonable to me. :?:
regards,
Rich

gunman45

#15: Post by gunman45 »

AZRich wrote:Hi guys -
I don't understand how turning off the machine when you start the pull would have any discernible effect. Am I missing something?
I would agree, I turn mine off because I cannot see how there would be any effect and it has become just procedure to help cool the head for the next shot later in the morning. That is to say, I steam the milk, clean the wand, load the portafilter, raise the handle, shut off the machine, start the pull...do the same thing the same way every time...........................
------------------------------------------------------------
Larry - LMWDP #536

JFDUP (original poster)

#16: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

I've always steamed my milk last. Wouldn't steaming your milk first bring the machine temperature through the roof right before pulling your shot?

gunman45

#17: Post by gunman45 replying to JFDUP »

Nope, I typically have to half-pump 1-3 times to let my temp strip get to 85c depending if it's the first shot of the day or a little later in the morning.

Forgot to mention I only steam 4-5 oz milk.
Larry - LMWDP #536

JFDUP (original poster)

#18: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Good to know! I'll try that next time. Makes sense I guess. I can't wait to get a real tamper and a one hole steam tip. I think it will make a big difference in the quality of my milk drinks.

gunman45

#19: Post by gunman45 replying to JFDUP »

The one-hole tip is the only way to go for good micro-foam, just keep it at the top edge of the milk. I use a 49.5 Reg-Barber US contour tamp with an adjustable poundage tamp handle. Lets me dial-in and make decent shots even upon just waking up in the morning.........

I will say, I like the taste the La Pav gives me more than my Swiss Miss.....but then I need more practice on the Cremina.
Larry - LMWDP #536