New Monarch Methods pour-over stand, etc. - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
[creative nickname]

#21: Post by [creative nickname] »

I do this every day, and also use it for americanos and for tea water in the evenings. Flushing 500 or more mL/day keeps it very fresh. If you never use it, it sits there and then worries about dirty water become self fulfilling prophecies. Otherwise it is fine.
LMWDP #435

cnose

#22: Post by cnose »

Hello hello, long time lurker, first time poster. Chris C is a friend and former coworker and he stopped by the roastery today with a prototype of his new kettle. Apologies for the quality, I only had my phone with me. Also keep in mind it's just a prototype, so certain details may change by the time he is completely happy with them.

Even though cork was a better insulator, he has returned to using leather for the sleeves, now attached by what he tells me is "military-grade" velcro. He said he realised that people don't care too much about temperature stability ie that people have their own way of dealing with it, perhaps filling with boiling water, dumping and then refilling.

Here is a detail of the velcro, and you can also see the felt that is on the inside, there to hold (some) temperature but mostly to keep you from burning yourself through the leather when holding it.

Another angle of the military-grade velcro and stitching. He told me he is probably going to change the stitching so that it is more interesting.

And this is a bonus shot from his phone of the reason why he is not currently making kettles - this is a prototype of the new polishing process. It is not currently ready but when it is the kettles will have a beautiful shine and smoothness to them. He told me the kettles get put in a giant tumbler with a bunch of stones or balls or something.

SlowRain

#23: Post by SlowRain »

It's very interesting. They're very nice-looking kettles, but it's a lot of work on his part to find a good method to hold it without a handle.

SonVolt

#24: Post by SonVolt »

I ended up buying the 320ml kettle with the cork insulator and absolutely love it. It's an heirloom piece - heavy as heck and just looks and feels so darn cool. I just wish the large model was 600ml and not 500ml and I'd buy that one too.