Large batch commercial grinder - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bodka Coffee

#11: Post by Bodka Coffee »

That is correct. They mostly stay in the bag. I then grind into a bucket and package. This is only for preground small packets. If I'm grinding a lb I just grind into bag like machine is built for.

Ellejaycafe

#12: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Also mike, your website isn't working on mobile for me... I was gonna order some coffee and it won't pull up on my phone. Just a heads up.
LMWDP #544

Compass Coffee

#13: Post by Compass Coffee »

Ellejaycafe wrote:I don't think any hopper is ten lbs! That would be nuts.
Well for example a Mahlkonig DK 27 has 66lb hopper! Oh and is rated ~616lb/hr medium grind. :shock: And I know there are bigger...
Mike McGinness

CwD

#14: Post by CwD »

Jumping on the Bunnzilla recommendation, built one recently and love it already.

weavdaddy (original poster)

#15: Post by weavdaddy (original poster) »

Okay, so Bunnzilla ($500 for a used Bunn G3, $430 for the Ditting burrs) vs a used Grindmaster 890 for $300...which one is better as an investment over time?

CwD

#16: Post by CwD »

I got my G1 for $200 used, and it's in perfect condition. I'm sure you can get under $500, make offers to people listing them on Craigslist, they're huge and someone selling one is liable to want it gone. Might not work on somewhere like ebay (especially for the relatively small and thus desirable for home use G1), but locally the demand is liable to keep listings up longer than the seller would like.

As for the Grindmaster, the 890 could potentially have Ditting burrs already, see if the look like the ones here The Grindmaster 890 . I'm not sure if there's any significant difference between the 804 burrs in the Bunn or the stock Ditting burrs in the 890, would have to talk to someone whose used both. If it has the other style of Grindmaster burrs, it won't be as good outside the french press area of coarseness.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

weavdaddy wrote:Okay, so Bunnzilla ($500 for a used Bunn G3, $430 for the Ditting burrs) vs a used Grindmaster 890 for $300...which one is better as an investment over time?
I wouldn't pay $500 for a used G series grinder. Shop around as there are much better deals. How much are the Ditting 804 burrs bought direct? Last price I heard was $320 but they could have gone up since then. You should be able to get a nice stainless spacer made up & pressed on for $50 at any small machine shop or even less if you've got a machinist friend.

No idea what year Grindmaster switched to the machined burrs. You wouldn't want the old rock crusher style burrs. If you could find a great deal on an 890 with the machined burrs that might be the way to go. No idea how stepless the Grindmaster adjustment assembly is.
LMWDP 267