Ascaso iMini grind markings modification

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
oman

#1: Post by oman »

Hi All,

I recently got an Ascaso iMini and am generally happy with it except for two sticking points.

a) No grind setting markings, i know it's a stepless grinder but this could be easily remedied.
b) No constant ON switch so i can grind more than a portafilter at a time (is there a reason for this?)

My solution to a) is to print out a clear sicker with arbitrary unit markings which will match up to one of the 3 hopper holes which support the bean shield. Generally when you've set your grind you'll hover around the same setting +/- 1-2 rotations of the grind screw. Which translates into a small amount of hopper rotation. The hopper can be freely rotated in the grinder which would ruin this setup but as long as you don't rotate it (it's quite stiff) then the above should work.

Has anyone done this already? i don't want to re-invent the wheel. There was a good post on this grinder before.

In terms of b), does anyone know if there a reason Ascaso didn't include a switch to power the grinder constantly? I know most grinders around this price point can only operate for 1 min before overheating and killing your beans. But is there any other reason i couldn't insert a switch to do the above? There's a blank hole on the right of the grinder which looks to be well suited to this and wouldn't be too hard to wire up.

Cheers
oman