Mahlkoenig K30 Vario and Ceado E37S Comparison - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spearfish25 (original poster)

#21: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

I really like the E8 on paper. The only problem was the body height which towered over the E37S and K30 bodies. Compak seems to keep the same grinder housing profile across many of their upper tier of products. But honestly if I could have fit the E8, I'd probably have one of their conics instead.

GC1

#22: Post by GC1 »

Exactly right. The E6, E8 and E10 conic all use the same body-about 17" high sans the hopper.

lodi

#23: Post by lodi »

spearfish25 wrote:Can you explain how the Ceado fits your needs better? I think it would be interesting to get this opinion given this is comparison thread. In cross-shopping and experiencing both grinders, they seemed to fill a very similar needs niche to me (fairly similar size particularly wrt height, similar small hopper options, similar grind speed, similar timed dosing or barista/manual options, etc etc).
Very True. Maybe "needs" wasn't the right word. My budget was +/- $1K and I was looking for 83mm flat burrs. In addition, I like the looks of the Ceado and I really like that you can access the burrs without losing the grind adjustment. Had the spraying issue persisted I would have probably ordered the K30, as I need my grinder to fit under the cabinet.

GC1, I love the E8 from everything I have seen, but the height is a killer for anyone trying to fit it under cabinet.

The Macap MXD may be another option but I have seen very little info about it.

Shife

#24: Post by Shife »

GC1 wrote:Another grinder to compare to the E37s is the Compak E8 costing just $100 more. 83mm flat burrs, superior shoot and portafilter holder design + LED barista lights.<image>
One question: Is this "tamp and go", or are distribution games and techniques required? I'm still narrowing down my list of contenders and I consider that a requirement for my next upgrade.

lodi

#25: Post by lodi replying to Shife »

I find that grinds are fluffy and well distributed with a small mound in the middle of the basket. I do a quick finger sweep, tamp and go.

Shife

#26: Post by Shife replying to lodi »

Thank you. I'm currently using an SJ class grinder and am tired of the paperclip WDT nonsense. Level and tamp is what I'm looking for.

spearfish25 (original poster)

#27: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

The tamp and go is similar for both the K30 and E37S. Leveling the mound across the PF is beneficial to both for even extraction. That's kind of a given for any grinder though. I do find that the K30 has given me fewer channeled spritzers from my bottomless PF which I think was due to some clumping I was having with my E37S.