Bottomless portafilter and grind setting

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Rubenhak

#1: Post by Rubenhak »

hi Everybody,

I'm starting to get used to the machine. Getting ok shots with illy beans. Need to switch to better and fresher beans for best results and to finalize tuning the grind settings and dosing.

I have also received a bottomless portafilter and decided to give a try with the same settings as I used with stock Expobar Brewtus IV double portafilter. Result was awful. Not only the extraction was too quick, but also few coffee jets were firing from few of the filter holes. With the new portafilter it seems like the grind setting was way too coarse, though it was good with the other filter. Is this expected behavior or the new filter is bad?

The new filter is this one: http://www.amazon.com/E61-Group-Commerc ... 005LE7PJY/

Thanks,
Ruben

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u »

Are you using the same basket in each pf or are they different
Do you know what the baskets are ? they may have different appropriate doses as a maximum and have more / less larger smaller holes

Example
a vst basket will require a finer grind than other stock baskets for the same dose and flow rate

Mrboots2u

#3: Post by Mrboots2u »

Edit that looks like a nominal " triple basket " holding 20-21 grams ( see FAQ in the amazon link )
What are you dosing in grams ? if you dont have scales to measure this , then please get some

Rubenhak (original poster)

#4: Post by Rubenhak (original poster) »

Mrboots2u, I was using different baskets as the stock basket would not fit the bottomless portafilter.
I didnt realize the the bottomless filter I got has a triple basket which holds about 21 grams.

Do you know how much does the original Expobar Brewtus IV double basket hold? So far I was dosing 17 grams. Of course with scales.

Rubenhak (original poster)

#5: Post by Rubenhak (original poster) »

Mrboots2u wrote:Are you using the same basket in each pf or are they different
Do you know what the baskets are ? they may have different appropriate doses as a maximum and have more / less larger smaller holes

Example
a vst basket will require a finer grind than other stock baskets for the same dose and flow rate
Also, are the vst baskets indeed that good ot its just a myth? I noticed there are ridged and ridgeless baskets. What is the difference between those?

Mrboots2u

#6: Post by Mrboots2u replying to Rubenhak »

For the original basket i would guess it has a limit of 18g ish
Yes i rate the VST baskets highly - there are other after market baskets that people rate on here too though
I presume part of your problem with the larger basket is you are under dosing it too much > leading to gushers and channeling
I would probably go back to the stock double with the Naked - unless you have a need to make bigger drinks and use higher doses .
difference between ridged and ridge-less is exactly that one has a ridge one doesn't . Ridgeless are easier to remove from the PF

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Your beans are your first issue. See what happens when you get some good fresh beans. The Illy will be stale out of the can and what you report is typical of old beans even with the proper dose in the basket.
Dave Stephens