What are your favorite "bargain coffees"?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Nonprophet

#1: Post by Nonprophet »

I've experimented quite a bit, having bought from most of the major online vendors and local roasters. Clearly, fresh is a must, but I must admit that lately some of the coffees that have really been impressing me have been on the bargain side of the coffee aisle--and I couldn't be happier!

Most, it not all of the beans that I've bought in bulk at grocery stores have been stale. But a friend of mine urged me to try Winco's Cascade Pride Specialty coffee beans, and I must say "WOW" they have some really nice single origin and blends at a great price!

Their Kona Blend, Tanzanian Peaberry, and Organic Dark Sumatra are really quite good--definitely in my top 10 of all the beans I've tried so far, with their Kona Blend easily in the top 5. Chocolatey, creamy, hint of apricot, not lemony at all--really, really nice! And best of all is the price: only $7.95lb!! I've been buying beans from our local Winco stores for 2 months now, and have yet to get any stale beans at all. I've been using their coffees exclusively with my lever espresso machine, and I get wonderful thick crema each and every time. I must admit that I was quite skeptical when my friend suggested I try their beans, but so far I've been super impressed!

So if you live in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Texas, Utah, or California, definitely check out the Cascade Pride http://wincofoods.com/departments/bulk- ... offee-101/ offerings, really can't be beat for the price and truthfully the 3 beans I mention above are better than most of the $20lb beans I've tried.
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522

Advertisement
thepilgrimsdream

#2: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Red Bird is a bargain to me....

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

Beware of "Kona blends." There are exceptions, but most are about 10% Kona (of indeterminate quality) and 90% cheaper coffees of various origins. Especially beware of packages that don't tell you the Kona percentage.

http://www.konacoffeefarmers.org/kona-l ... end-issue/
Marshall
Los Angeles

NoBurnCoffeeTristan

#4: Post by NoBurnCoffeeTristan »

A friend told me that Folgers Gourmet Selections taste WAY better than their original blends. Anyone else tried those?

rittem1

#5: Post by rittem1 replying to NoBurnCoffeeTristan »

...The best part of waking up...
LMWDP #517

rittem1

#6: Post by rittem1 »

thepilgrimsdream wrote:Red Bird is a bargain to me....
+1 but only when you jump up to 5 lb bags. The 1 lb bags with shipping are still reasonable, just no longer a 'bargain'.
LMWDP #517

Cafesp

#7: Post by Cafesp »

Starbucks Reserve Aged Sumatra when discount offered :)
Love is in the air, Taste it!

Advertisement
Cafesp

#8: Post by Cafesp »

Hi Brett, Thanks for the info. Will try Kona blend and Dark Sumatra :D :D
Love is in the air, Taste it!

CoffeeMac

#9: Post by CoffeeMac »

thepilgrimsdream wrote:Red Bird is a bargain to me....
+1

$0.67 per ounce when you buy 5lb bags (including shipping )vs. $1.03 - $1.75 per ounce for my local subscription / mail order (Ritual, 4 Barrel, Blue Bottle, etc.) vendors. I get beans 2 days after roast, then vacuum seal and freeze in 0.5 lb bags. Their Redbird Espresso blend is great in milk-based drinks; I really love their various Ethiopia Yirgacheffe single-origins for pour-over / siphon.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

CwD

#10: Post by CwD »

I've had some good luck with Happy Mug getting started. I mostly get a bit pricier coffee from my two local roasters, Blueprint and Sump, now, but I'm actually tempted to try Happy Mug again after the coffee I'm on now runs out for a bit of variety. A 2lb bag of a natural process Ethiopia Halo Bariti is $26 shipped to my door (Or $16 for a 1lb bag).