Londinium L1 off to a good start. - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Nonineto (original poster)

#11: Post by Nonineto (original poster) »

I remember reading this in one of the londinium topics. . Now I need to perfect it..

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

Toronto tap water, even Brita filtered, is (already) giving you scale.

What is kind of ironic is (a lot of) Nestle Pure Life/Montclair (and their competitors) is bottled just outside Toronto - Cedar Valley(Erin)/Aberfoyle - but that water is from those two springs, not the Lake Ontario water that the city uses.

Note Nestle Pure Life in the US is different. It is sometimes (always?) filtered (made) water there; in Canada it is spring water.

There are quite a few publicly-accessible springs around Toronto if you feel like a nice drive. Unfortunately, the spring on Mississauga road has been closed; it had awesome water - that water found fame many years ago as the foundation of "Canada Dry." The artesian spring in Ancaster is pretty well known, but there are closer ones - http://www.findaspring.com - but I don't know which are suitable for coffee.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

spressomon

#13: Post by spressomon »

A good source for potassium bicarbonate is a home brewer's (beer) supply shop. Seems to be plenty of them around.
No Espresso = Depresso

#14: Post by Nonineto (original poster) »

I found the potassium bicarbonate.

This morning I took a drive to stoufville and paid a visit to their local roasters- velvet sunrise. I purchased a bag of papa new guinea- got home and dosed 16 grams into my londinium, lowered the lever to begin pre infusion and the second the lever bottomed out ( actually even before the lever bottomed out ) the drip started, very watery. I guess I need to try 18 grams and go from there.

Velvet sunrise did pull a shot for me while in their premises and it was quite tasteful. The lemon notes smack you immediately, quickly followed by sweet apple and other foreign notes I'm not accustomed too yet!

arcus
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by arcus »

I've used Velvet Sunrise espresso a bunch of times in my L1 and enjoyed it. I was dosing 15.8 grams with no issues. Did you try grinding finer?

#16: Post by Nonineto (original poster) »

I haven't tried grinder finer yet. Bit of a mystery right now. I did dose 16 grams - when I went to tamp, the grinds dropped much lower in the portafilter as opposed to when I tamp 16 grams of the deterra yellow.. I need to try again and be sure that I indeed used 16 grams and not less. Velvet taste was very nice though. .

#17: Post by Nonineto (original poster) »

Quick update.
I upped the dose to 17.5 grams and a bit finer - same thing happens. Same great taste though.