Profitec Pro 700 Max Steam Boiler Temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
spearfish25

#1: Post by spearfish25 »

Does anyone know how high one can safely turn up the steam boiler temp (i.e. pressure)? The pressure gauge has the green zone that ends at 1.5 bar. However, machines like the LMLM sit around 1.8 bar (assessing from videos). When steaming on the Profitec, I start around 1.4 bar and it drops to 0.9-1.0 bar very rapidly. The LMLM seems to sit around 1.5bar while steaming. Just wondering if similar performance can be milked from the Profitec.

spearfish25 (original poster)

#2: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Just found this here. If anyone has info specific to the Profitec though, please let me know. Thanks.

BigSteam

#3: Post by BigSteam »

Hey OP,

Just wondering how you went finding an answer to this question? Soon to be a pro 700 owner here as well.

Thanks

#4: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Never found anything more. Steaming first will keep the steam element on and avoid the brew boiler priority which helps. Some people run the machine in dual boiler mode without brew priority but the power cord is not rated for this so there is risk associated with doing so.

BigSteam

#5: Post by BigSteam »

Just got my machine today. The machine had the steam temp set to 127 degrees C (which is ~1.5 bar), and the max is 128 degrees C.

Steaming seems pretty powerful and much easier to get good microfoam with compared to my old Expobar.

#6: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

It's definitely a powerful steamer. If you're doing rapid succession of milk steaming for large lattes, you' start to feel the trouble with a brew boiler priority.

While I wouldn't leave the machine in simultaneous boiler mode all the time, it's probably fine to switch over to that mode once the machine is fully warmed up if you know you're banging out 4-5 drinks in succession. Then change it back to brew boiler priority mode. Caveat: this is dependent on your house wiring and circuit design. Simultaneous mode draws about 24amps which is a minor overload on a 20A circuit.

BigSteam

#7: Post by BigSteam »

Thanks for your quick reply. I can definitely see what you mean, used the hot water tap this morning then made an espresso and went to steam, and the steam boiler temp dropped quite rapidly and took a while to recover (maybe 90 seconds). I could see it being a pain if you're putting out multiple milk drinks.

I'm actually in Australia, so we have 240V power here. However, it seems my machine does not have the simultaneous boiler mode (option 5 is missing in PID setting F.02). I assume this was taken out at the request of the local importer, which is a bit of a shame as I was expecting to use this mode. Especially as the draw would be a maximum of 11 amps (our normal household sockets are 10 amps). Of course this was not advertised anywhere that this mode had been removed.

#8: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) replying to BigSteam »

Interesting...so you have a 240V machine but it still have brew priority? The hot water tap will murder your steaming ability. Definitely let it recover before steaming if you draw hot water. I think that's when I first noticed it most. Filled a cup to warm it from the hot water tap, then brew and steam together and my steaming sucked. But if you have a fully charged steam boiler, the power is really good even if you steam and brew at the same time. I now just heat my cups with the hot tap first thing, and then do my ritual with getting the milk ready, grinding etc, which takes a minute or two and lets the steam boiler recover from the hot water draw.

BigSteam

#9: Post by BigSteam »

Yeah it's shipped with brew boiler priority and the only other options are steam only, or espresso only.

I guess I'll have to change my process a little bit if I'm doing multiple milk drinks. Other than this though I'm pretty impressed. This will have to be the first DB machine I've played with that has comparable steam output to the bigger HX machines... at least initially.

I'd be interested if you had any other tips about the machine?