Personal best brew - Kalita Wave, Bunn G1, Mavea filtered water

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
happycat

#1: Post by happycat »

Today I brewed a personal best. I'm sure all of this info is somewhere and people may know all this, but it took me awhile to assemble this knowledge and equipment and get these steps together in my process.

I have found that many resources on the internet give pieces of information and leave out important stuff-- people seem to make a lot of assumptions about where we are all starting from: coffee, roast, water, grind, ratios, etc.
  • 1. sourced green Costa Rican Helsar-Miguel Rojas from Sweet Marias

2. roasted 250gm greens in Quest M3 electric roaster monitored with Artisan 0.9.8 software on my Mac
    (Scott Rao style Nike Swoop declining rise profile)
    (light roast - power 10, fan 3, charge 410F, at 1C fan 2, drop at 422F) [lighter roasts are sweet!]
    (roaster connected to Mac using Eric Svendson's thermocouple set connected to a Phidget)

3. cooled coffee with full fan & zero heat in roaster then in aluminum dish near open window (it's cold up here in Montreal)
    (coffee rested a couple days but not by design)

4. filtered cold tap water in Mavea pitcher [New: used to use tap water directly]

5. filled Hario Buono kettle and set to boil on range [new: used to boil with electric , then pour with Hario]

6. set Kalita Wave stainless 185 brewer on Kalita carafe with natural paper filter
    [stainless supposedly draws less heat from coffee]

7. poured few inches of boiling water in centre of filter and let drain

8. placed Aeropress funnel into filter

9. measured 30gm roasted coffee beans using scale

10. inspected beans and picked out a couple that looked mis-shapen [bad bean can ruin a cup]

11. ground roasted coffee using used Bunn G1 bulk grinder on "Regular" setting into Pyrex cup [to reduce static]
    (Regular is one click right from Coarse)

12. poured coffee through Aeropress funnel into Kalita using pastry brush [noted no fines clinging to G1 chute]

13. removed funnel and settled grounds in Kalita with sideways shakes

14. dumped pre-heat water

15. set carafe, brewer on scale and tared to zero

16. used two hands for pouring with Buono kettle [helps with more control]
    (2nd hand with towel under front to steady, move spout close to coffee bed)

17. gently created muffin bloom by adding 2:1 water to coffee
    (in this case 60gm water, 30gm coffee)

18. set stopwatch on iPod

19. waited 30 secs

20. regularly gently added hot water like the Nick Cho videos in pulses
    (gentle spiral from centre out, always pouring into existing pool to minimize agitation)

21. at 500ml of added water, stopped

22. poured remainder hot water into coffee cups to prevent coffee cooling too fast

23. when Kalita drained, removed Wave filter from carafe

24. dumped preheat water from cups

25. poured coffee into both cups

26. waited for coffee to cool to warm before tasting [more flavours evident as coffee cools]

Personal best for brewing-- everything came together so nicely. Immense sweetness. Nuts. Balanced fruity acidity. Sweet high-end milk chocolate that lingered for an hour or more.

I brewed the same coffee previously with a Kalita. At finer grinds, it was sweet but kind of flat-- while that finer grind was fruity and sweet with a Yama Sock Pot. I could probably brew the Wave coarser... I think the total brew time was around 3:30 but don't remember.

To me all the steps are like the members of a symphony finally coming together. I'm sure more improvement will come.
LMWDP #603

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

Congrats.. Any revelations, lessons learned? Your process seems usual to me, but TBH, TDLR thoroughly.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?