I tried boiling water in my French Press

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mathof

#1: Post by mathof »

Today, as an experiment, I made a pot of coffee in my 3-tasse press pot, drawing boiling water straight from the hot water tap of my Londinium 1 on to the grounds. The coffee was an excellent Yirgacheffe which I have been using for espresso and is about two-weeks post-roasting. The taste is just fine, according to my taste buds. The pot was pre-heated. I filled it to the top and let the grinds bloom for a minute, broke them up and let the coffee brew for four minutes further.

I read that the water for French-press should be below be below 200F (93.3C), but as it quickly cools down anyway, I'm not sure why it matters if it enters the cup initially just off the boil. Is this another coffee myth?

Matt

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

doesn't matter that much.. off boil is fine. For espresso it does make a big difference, however.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

I wouldnt purposefully use water below 200 to start a brew process. I use a PID Kettle, and depending which brew method Im gonna use, and what coffee, Ill adjust the temp a bit, device to device.

But its always higher than what Im actually shooting for, because the water is gonna cool down the second it stops heating, and further, when I start pouring, and when it hits the room temp grounds, and etc etc.

Most people who brew french press that arent coffeegeeks, do what you just did today. And they swear by it. I mean heck, getting a french press is probably the step many if not most of us took, before we found the forums and got lost in the espresso hole.

Just because I know coffee should be brewed between 195-205 and not boiled, using your listed technique, and not trying to complicate it at all...... If one was worried about boiling the coffee and ruining it, one could simply pour the water into the empty french press, wait a coulple seconds to drop off the boil, then add the coffee. Before 09 and the start of geekdom, I would have the FP ready to go next to the stove where the water was boiling, and onced it rolled, Id take it off the heat, and let it stand for 20 seconds, and commence brewing. And I thought I was quite the advanced coffee brewer back then :)