The Perger "Method"? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dhb

#11: Post by dhb »

Peppersass wrote:..... For example, when the flow rate changes due to aging of the coffee or changes in ambient conditions, the coffee won't taste like you originally dialed in. You can get back to the original flow rate by increasing or decreasing the dose......
Wow, aging coffee & change of ambient conditions, is something doesn't exist in Pergers World.
Dirk
LMWDP #430

Espresso is simple, just not easy.

Mrboots2u

#12: Post by Mrboots2u replying to dhb »

Of course they exisit In Pergers world -would be corrected by changing the grind . More than one to skin a cat

dhb

#13: Post by dhb replying to Mrboots2u »

True, to be fair, in Matt's World I guess there is nothing like aging coffee because the use so much so fast, that it has no chance to age.
That leave us with the changing ambient environment, rain / sun, store full / empty. Wouldn't changing the grind a demise of the optimum extraction rate?
Dirk
LMWDP #430

Espresso is simple, just not easy.

Mrboots2u

#14: Post by Mrboots2u replying to dhb »

No....:)

mslim

#15: Post by mslim »

Wait! No one has mentioned TDS and Matt went on a bit about TDS using a refractometer prior to all these.

Extraction yield % = Brewed Coffee[g] x TDS[%] /Coffee Grounds[g]. The TDS is a factor.

Does anyone know how to use those handheld Brix refractometer to check TDS? (Brix % * 0.85 = TDS% apparently). They're pretty cheap on ebay.

doublehelix

#16: Post by doublehelix »

Here's some choices for Brix refractometers:

A Bluetooth enabled device from Atago-- a bit pricey at $350:

http://www.labmart.com/index.php?main_p ... dium=email

For my espressos I use a cheap optical refractometer, but have recently upgraded to a digital one (Milwaukee MA871; ~$100), mainly for convenience (easier to read numbers than discern a blue/clear interface on the optical instrument):

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/milwa ... /ma871.htm

I use inexpensive Brix refractometers for gauging my espresso extractions (no filtration) and use the 0.85 conversion factor to estimate TDS. The Milwaukee instrument is well made, but larger and less precise than the more costly Atago/VST/Misco units.