HG-1 Upper Funnel Mod

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Seed65

#1: Post by Seed65 »

Good day,

I know several people have touted Stephen Sweeney's upper full design in the past, but since I like it so much, I am posting mine. This upper funnel replaces the small HG funnel and solves a few issues for me. First- I grind upwards of 40g+ of beans several times a week, and the original HG-1 funnel cannot handle that volume, so I needed to stop grinding and add more beans to the funnel. Second - The placement and small diameter of the original HG-1 funnel made it difficult to load beans since drive box kind of blocked you access to the funnel. Third - Popcorning was an issue, but really more of an annoyance since I had to take the time to clean up the shards that popped out from the funnel.

I saw Stephen's upper funnel design and knew that it would help resolve these three issues....and it does. I can now add a ton of beans since the added height of the funnel can handle the volume of beans. The increased diameter of the funnel extends beyond the drive box, so now I can easily load up the beans....simply....just pour the beans into the funnel with easy access and the they slide on in. And, now popcorning for the most part goes away. I may have had a shard pop out but not like it was using the original funnel.

In addition - Stephen is a first rate guy! :) and he did a great job machining the funnel which looks great as well as being functional.

Uldall

#2: Post by Uldall »

That is one serious Modifikation glad to hear it works for you. :-)
And it looks like good chraftmanship. Thumbs up.

/Uldall
Bassethound.
Coffee Driven.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by FotonDrv »

Glad you are happy with it Mike.

The more shallow I make the slope of the funnel the less shards escape but the beans do not slide down as readily :)
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

kwantfm

#4: Post by kwantfm »

FotonDrv wrote:The more shallow I make the slope of the funnel the less shards escape but the beans do not slide down as readily :)
Ah, the dreaded angle of repose!
LMWDP #602

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by FotonDrv replying to kwantfm »

Yes! The more the RDT the steeper the angle required...
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train