What scale to buy? - Page 11

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
day

#101: Post by day »

samuellaw178 wrote:I woke up today to a dead Brewista scale :cry: . And here's my scale after 3 months (a bit less actually) of use - with care at that! A new pair of battery doesn't work due to the corrosion.

<image> with the old battery compartment cover. :cry: Even my $10 shipped China scale is still going strong after 4 years (and under similar usage). Hopefully it's covered under warranty otherwise it'll be an expensive lesson for me.

I can't go into all the details on my phone but it has nothing to do with steam. Even with the scale resting in a platform elevated no steam and a towel under the compartment that never gets wet coffee still gets into the battery cover. I am pretty sure it's actually coming into the compartment from the top-no doubt in my mind, from my experience, steam is a separate issue with similar symptoms.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Eastsideloco

#102: Post by Eastsideloco »

ash4889 wrote:I have a little question to ask in regard to the scale, can you change it to ounces if I wanted to mail a letter
Also I really am not going to use it more than just how much coffee I'm putting in my portafilter, is there a is there a way to disable the timer aspect of it?
No. It does not display ounces; you would have to do a conversion.

Yes. You can use the scale in a fully manual mode, which disables the auto timer and tare routines. Alternately, you can use the auto-tare only mode (no timer). There are four different modes to choose from.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#103: Post by samuellaw178 »

russel wrote:Not that it excuses the failure, but you can avoid drip tray steam seepage by putting the scale in the inverted outer cover and using it that way all of the time. I use my Brewista and my SC-2KGs this way and have had months and years of water damage free use respectively (however a few AWSs have failed to survive child weighing himself damage).
Thanks for the tips. Will give that a try.

Went to where I've purchased the scale and got a replacement unit without much hiccup. Grateful for that (but it seems to me I wasn't the first one). All the newer batches of Brewista scales have this new battery cover. We will see how it holds up. If you have the older cover, do ask your distributor if they can supply the new cover FOC before it breaks like mine.

New cover on the left, original on the right.

day

#104: Post by day »

I am glad you posted this. I have a replacement with the new (I thought it was the same but didn't have the old to compare). It allows coffee in exactly the same way. The coffee entering has nothing at all to do with steam. The customer service is ultimately good but they are going to get hit too hard for a new company from this problem, imo. I would stay away.

The auto functions are too prone too error as well.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#105: Post by samuellaw178 »

Thanks Brian for the heads up. That's really unfortunate. :( I was crossing my fingers hoping the new cover would avoid the issue but this doesn't seem optimistic.

The auto function wasn't a problem as I had to use the manual mode (using it for both dosing beans & timing shots). I supposed even with a Lunar you'd have the same problem...I'm just glad I didn't have to splurge that much only to find out it wouldn't work into my workflow.

ash4889

#106: Post by ash4889 »

ash4889 wrote:I got the scale today and you were absolutely right, it was heavy and way too large. I'm returning it to Amazon and I bought this one instead.
<image>
Hey guys I just do not know how to make up my mind so I took back that last scale, and I bought the Acaia Lunar Instead I got a discount on it and I got it for $193 shipped