La Pavoni Europiccola steam tip - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Dev

#11: Post by Dev »

When I first got my LP there was a little learning curve but I manage to get great shots from it.
I ended up in a sea of frustration every now and then when I changed coffees and had to try different things.
My only complaint with the LP is not being able to pull a full 2 ounces so you end up with more of a ristretto for what should be an espresso if you use a double basket. You also don't have a full double to match the volume for your milk drinks.
This leads you to the Fellini technique to get you closer to that 2 ounces which can be a hit or miss until you master it. Thats where the fun begins with living on the edge without breaking the puck. Once I got better I pulled some of the best shots I ever had.

JFDUP (original poster)

#12: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Nice! What would be the best instructional video out there?

Dev

#13: Post by Dev »

All of the videos on youtube are useful. There are more than a few ways to pull shots and it depends on a lot of factors.
A good starting point that has worked for me is:

1. Dosing about 12-12.5 grams of coffee
2. Get the temperature to about 85C
3. Lift the handle to the point where water is just misting out, then lock in the portafilter and lift up all the way to the top letting water hit the puck.
4. Let go of the handle and let it pre infuse for 10 seconds before you start the pull.
5. Get the pull to be tight enough by adjusting the grind to where it feels like cutting frozen butter with a knife.

All of these variables can be changed as you go along.

More advanced technique.
Fellini pull. Get the grind to be a little tighter and pull the shot letting some flow into the cup, about 1/3 of the pull or less.
carefully lift the handle slowly to recharge the shot and pull the full stroke. If you do it right then you won't break the puck although the pull will be a little looser than the initial 1/3 pull and that's why initial pull needs to be tighter.
I have success with doing it this way if i'm mindful but to get there it has taken a great deal of frustration.
Trial and error will eventually have you stumble on a winning formula.