Water tasting at 3FE in Dublin

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Colin Harmon of 3FE in Dublin launched a water tasting for his customers. Not too surprisingly it generated some controversy.

Dublin coffee shop unveils water tasting menu
Colin Harmon wrote:When you grind coffee and mix it with water, lots of different things in the water - calcium, magnesium, bicarbonate - have a huge influence on how the coffee is extracted

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Amazing how you put a company logo on a plastic bottle and all of a sudden people will pay $3.5 for water.

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

I'd suggest reading Colin Harmon's Nov 27 blog post: https://www.3fe.com/blog/2015/11/27/wat ... ing-at-3fe

At first I thought it might be four shots of coffee brewed with the different waters, which would have been very tough to provide at that price, but see in one of the articles that it's just four shots of water:
http://www.independent.ie/life/food-dri ... 36629.html

"Its four glasses of water, and 90pc of people will see that the four glasses actually taste completely different."
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

keno (original poster)

#4: Post by keno (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:At first I thought it might be four shots of coffee brewed with the different waters, which would have been very tough to provide at that price, but see in one of the articles that it's just four shots of water:
Exactly! Comparing four shots of the same coffee prepared with different water would make more sense than four shots of water. From what I've read better tasting water does not necessarily make better tasting espresso, so why taste the water?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Art mirrors reality - a very well-done parody of water (5:10):
Myself, if I am ever in Dublin, then I am going to 3fe.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Viernes

#6: Post by Viernes »

keno wrote:Exactly! Comparing four shots of the same coffee prepared with different water would make more sense than four shots of water. From what I've read better tasting water does not necessarily make better tasting espresso, so why taste the water?
To show that if not all the water taste the same, then coffee taste will change according to the water used. Which is true, but I don't know why people should care about this when all that people want is drink a good damn coffee and go.

All of this sound pretty pretentious.

aecletec

#7: Post by aecletec »

I didn't realise it was so difficult to not buy something you weren't interested in... People have their own favourite brands of overpriced bottled water, so it doesn't seem that odd to me.

Advertisement
keno (original poster)

#8: Post by keno (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:Art mirrors reality - a very well-done parody of water
Fantastic!! Living in Portland now I can totally relate to this. Thanks for sharing.

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

aecletec wrote:I didn't realise it was so difficult to not buy something you weren't interested in... People have their own favourite brands of overpriced bottled water, so it doesn't seem that odd to me.
+1

I personally think the price is completely reasonable.