Need help steaming milk with ECM Giotto - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
weebit_nutty

#21: Post by weebit_nutty »

You first have to understand what microfoam is (or, rather, should be).

It should literally look like a solid opaque fluid. Not foamy in the least or with any visible bubbles It should have the look and feel of heavy cream or paint (as many use to describe) completely homogenous. When steam correctly it does not dissipate easily. You could leave it and cone back to it two minutes later and it would require only a quick swirl in the pitcher to incorporate back into the milk and appear exactly as before (glossy and solid).

Rayner's photo shows fine foam, which is not even close to what I would deem acceptable for latte art. The bad free pour technique aside, his milk consistency was the bigger culprit. When you have the right consistency, pouring latte art is almost effortless as the milk virtually glides on its own and the contrast between cream and milk is crisp, regardless of how pour pattern itself turns out.

My 2 cents
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

TheJavaCup77

#22: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Weebit_Nutty

Thanks for the commentary.. i was fully aware of the foam quality.. (i used to work behind the bar)

Still working on recovering my skills of pouring and steaming.. didn't practice for months up till recently..

Just got my Breville BES900 a month ago.. and still playing with its weak steam..

BTW, most importantly.. If it tastes good.. it is good.. great pulls and great steaming and you're already ticking the right boxes..
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

TheJavaCup77

#23: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Also, I've gotten a 350ml Rattleware pitcher to see if it's any better than my 450ml and 480ml...

Currently I'm (of course) mainly a drinker of straight shots and filter.. (V60, Aeropress, ETC)

Any steam tips that probably works great on the BDB?

It's not like the BDB's steam boiler is tiny... 950ml... iirc..

I don't think the velocity is enough to create a strong whirlpool.. (stronger whirlpool is much more desirable since the added centrifugal force can emulsify the aerated colloidal foam into the fat much more strongly and thats why commercial machines can steam milk not just faster.. but integrate the foam and liquid milk better)

3 small holes is probably worser than 1 big hole..

Also.. I've noticed the BDB is vacuuming my pucks up against my showerscreen.. unless i ditch the stock baskets for a VST/IMS.. iirc i believe Phil McKnight has said something about this in CoffeeSnobs..
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

TheJavaCup77

#24: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Still recovering from a long time without practice..

weebit_nutty

#25: Post by weebit_nutty »

TheJavaCup77 wrote:Still recovering from a long time without practice..

<image>
getting there :)
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

TheJavaCup77

#26: Post by TheJavaCup77 replying to weebit_nutty »

Thanks @Weebit_Nutty..
I noticed the whirlpool is even more stronger when steaming 150-175ml of milk... rather than the usual 220-240ml..

And the milk foam has a finer texture..

Mucked up on the pour.. tried to pour a tulip and eventually had the layers gel up into an onion :lol: