Upgrade to double boiler espresso machine?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pete2repete

#1: Post by pete2repete »

In the near future I will want/need to replace my older model Brasilia Gabriella, probably the fourth machine I've had over the years (preceded by a Pasquini Livia 90, a Saeco Venezia, and something else smaller and long-forgotten).
I always thought my next machine would be a step up having a plumbed in, softened water, rotary pump etc. And I think the Vibiemme Super Double Boiler would/could be a very nice upgrade, but there are some points I am pondering:

In the rotary vs. vibration posts, my understanding is the shot taste quality is not impacted, but the quieter rotary provides ready and tweakable pressure, has, under commercial usage, a longer life, and can be rebuilt.
But the other day my machine's service guy told me that, for non-commercial/home use, a vibration pump machine is more desirable as it provides greater pressure consistency.

Given that I almost never, ever, make milk drinks, and daily pull 10-12 normale shots (Italian style blend, 20% robusta) I wonder whether having a double boiler makes sense for me, and if there isn't a machine better suited for the narrow use for which I will continue to use my machine, as much as I'd like to have such a nice piece of hardware on my counter.
Thoughts?

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »