Can we plot an ideal delta BT in Artisan?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

Here's what I'm thinking. My maximum delta BT seems to be about 40, usually at about 3 minutes into the roast. If I were to divide the minutes to the end of the roast(another 9 minutes or so) when I'd like my delta BT to be about 4, that would mean I'd like the minute intervals to be 40 - 36 - 32 - 28 (you get the picture). Is there a way to create an LED right under the actual deltaBT that shows the optimal BT for the same time frame?

Arpi

#2: Post by Arpi »

Hi.

To get an LCD you need a virtual device. There are different ways to go about it.

You could do the deltaBT of a loaded background as a virtual device
You could do the delta of an Ln formula in a virtual device
You could do an explicit math formula in a virtual device.

For example, the derivative of the ln() function would be an explicit formula:

ln() formula: 232.56238380 * log(0.00715186 * t + 1.35120192, e)

the derivative is = 87626770037300/(376788234647*t +71186654393184)

You could use the plotter to find a formula you need. Then use it as a virtual device.

You could also use Designer to create a profile and then load it as a background and get an LCD through a virtual device.

Cheers

SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thanks Arpi. I must admit that my eyes kinda glazed over at the answers which are all somewhat over my head. I have been waiting to see if anyone chimed in with an "Arpi's answer for Dummies" for me. Until then or until I am feeling smarter than usual I will probably have to let this project slide.....But I thank you for paying attention to my query anyway :-)))

Susan

Arpi

#4: Post by Arpi »

Hi.

The variable for the background BT is B2. If you load a background (with a desired BT), you can display the deltaBT of the background in an LCD with a virtual device defined with the formula:

60*(B2-B2[-1])/(t-t[-1])

Cheers

SJM (original poster)

#5: Post by SJM (original poster) »

I will work on that today when the roasting room thaws....

saryu38

#6: Post by saryu38 »

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of a linear drop in RoR. Mathematically it's sound, and may even be the ideal for certain coffees, but often I need to expand or contract different stages of the roast in order to emphasize desirable flavor characteristics or avoid others.

SJM (original poster)

#7: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Yeah, I wouldn't trust it either as a control. I was just thinking of having it available as a marker; a benchmark?