Newbe, Quickmill 3004 help! no pre-infusion

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ian710

#1: Post by ian710 »

Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new to the forum and I'm also a bit of newbe with regards to coffee and espresso machines but I totally understand the inner working of the machines.
6 months ago I bought a brand new Quickmill 3004 machine (with thermo block) and Quickmill Apollo grinder.
I managed to match the grind to the machine but it's NOT normal to what everyone else is (on this forum) is getting.
I hope someone here can help me.
The grinder setting is at its finest. And I need min. 13/14 bar to make decent espresso. The pump is almost choking, and the time is about 40seconds (for normal espresso)
OK, I know around 9bar (and 30 sec) should be max, but if I make the grind coarser to get 9 bar, the espresso cup is full in about 10 sec. and it is very sour.(no matter how hard I tamp)
Also the seems to be no pre infusion on this machine. When turn on the pump the pressure ramps up very quickly and I get a quick squirt of coffee in the cup and then it starts to dribble to finish the espresso.
I've tried tamping hard and soft and the correct level in the porta filter. As well as varying the levels. But it always come back to the same as explained above.
I beginning to think the machine OPV is not working (if it even has one?? I haven't been able to find out yet).
Can anyone help or suggest a link that I can read to help solve my problem.
I look forward to building my taste for espresso and making the machine work as good as it can.
Regards, Ian

ian710 (original poster)

#2: Post by ian710 (original poster) »

After a bit of experimenting I found that I just need to go back to espresso 101 and start with the scales and really dial in the machine to the grinder.
I also found that my tamper was bottoming out on the porta-filter cup and not compressing the coffee enough. Now I made the grind a bit coarser and the pressure has dropped to 12 bar and now the espresso tastes a bit more sour.
I will put the tamper in the lathe and put a radius on it to fix that problem
It's also interesting to note that the coffee has very little crema on top. Can someone tell me why this is?

I'm sure that after digging around the forum I will figure out what the problem is.
Either way I will keep you all informed.
Ian