Reducing burr play in Mimosa hand crank grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jone9081

#1: Post by jone9081 »

I purchased a Mimosa table clamp/wall-mount manual grinder. I have taken it apart completely, cleaned, and lubed well. I'm using it for espressos in my La Pavoni Europiccola. The doubles are tasty with nice crema. The burr axle rod has some play in it...was wondering if anyone has suggestions for some sort of bearing or bushing I could slip onto the 17mm diameter rod to eliminate the play...or just leave it alone?
LMWDP #542

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

Look at McMaster-carr bushings and see if one will fit. You will likely have to drill the OD, and don't have many options for changing the shaft diameter without some real machinery, or making a new one.
LMWDP #353

jone9081 (original poster)

#3: Post by jone9081 (original poster) »

Update. I've decided to leave it like it is for now. It is relatively easy to adjust the grind but definitely a set it and leave it sort of device, due to the difficulty of going back to the original setting ( I've put some marks on it it assist :) ). I am getting great shots on my La Pavoni Europiccola using it. Definitely its easier to use than any other hand grinder i've used. So leaving it like it is for now and enjoying it.
LMWDP #542