The Luckiest Londinium Fan... - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Markant

#21: Post by Markant »

FotonDrv wrote:And tends to suck stuff up into the shower screen.
Hmmm, sorry. I should have been more precise.

A little bit of 'feeling' for it is necessary. When after the shot it is still dripping from the PF, I pull the lever *just* that far that no drops are falling anymore, remove the PF and then pull the lever further to rinse the screen. It is almost one continuous movement. Often there is still some water above the puck.

It is not messy at all. I use the IMS200 screen and also can't say that it gets more dirty with this method compared to just waiting until the PF is depressurized. YMMV

M.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by FotonDrv »

Do you find that the 200um screen leaves a dirty spot on it after a flush because of the larger dead spot in the center of the screen?

The 35um has a center spot very similar to the OEM screen but is much finer; wish I could use it.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Coelacanth (original poster)

#23: Post by Coelacanth (original poster) »

As markant pointed out above - I just crack the seal on the portafilter a fraction, let out the residual pressure and carry on. Easy and effective. The only time this has generated any mess was when i utterly choked the machine. Never done it since.

If you did get a bit of mush up on the screen Is no big deal - Reiss recommends a flush after pulling a shot anyway - to a) ensure the screen is clean and b) ensure the thermosiphon reboots itself.

A dedicated pressure relief valve would be problematic I reckon. It would have to have fail-safes, could get blocked etc etc.. Ultimately it would add cost and complexity for an issue that is already easily addressed, therefore unnecessary. Anathema to the Londinium vibe.

I've run plenty of shots through the L2 I own - it's definitely a non-issue thus far.

dominico
Team HB

#24: Post by dominico »

Some thoughts on this thread: disclaimer that I am not a Londinium owner, although I'm sure I'd be happy if I were!

Two group levers: Many may say it's overkill to have one in the home, but I do, and I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a single group machine. Besides the ability to keep up at parties having two groups has a number of perks: I can perform very accurate taste experiments as I can pull two coffees simultaneously and taste the shots when they are at the same "age". I also feel free to experiment with the settings for one of the groups, leaving the other in stock configuration for reference. I currently have one set for traditional shots and the other optimized for lighter coffees with modified thermosiphon and preinfusion adjustments. The visual wow factor of guests at seeing an impressive multigroup machine for the first time never gets old either.

The IMS screen: I find this screen gets less messy than the typical shower screen, and is easy to wipe clean, but yes coffee does tend to stick in the dead spot in the center and simply flushing doesn't do enough to knock it off.

Portafilter depressurization: I unlock a bit the portafilter and wag the handle up and down to break the group gasket - portafilter seal just a bit. I have the Cafelat silicone gaskets and I find they are very forgiving for this.

Sense of mastery, the inadequacy, then again mastery ( or at least competence):

I go through this thought cycle on all my endeavors that become passions beyond the hobby level, including espresso. That fall to "failure" is actually the beginning of an " awakening" to the next level of mastery in whatever it is you are studying. I went through the same thing with my first commercial lever. It was so easy to pull great espresso from the typical espresso blends, then after a while I felt I could get more out of them: heavier chocolates, nuanced caramels, chocolate truffle mouthfeel. My taste buds were realizing that there was more still I could pull out of the coffee. Of course I failed miserably to improve my shots for a while and started playing a lot more with dose, grind and temp to truly understand it's affects on my coffee. I got good at dialing in those chocolate bombs, got bored, and started seeking out more complex coffees. Time to eat mud again, any coffee labeled with "citrus" or " floral" notes all seemed to make a small concentrated cup of battery acid. Time to play with dose, grind, temp, preinfusion, and shot flow. Longer preinfusion, lower dose (finer grind), and slow ramp to full pressure allowed me to taste cherries, tangerines, and vanilla: and without the acidity to curdle my stomach. Now I've got this notion that I can make ANY coffee - no matter how lightly roasted or bright - taste good as espresso, and two coffees next to my grinder that are currently proving me wrong.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by FotonDrv »

Excellent assessment Dominick :D

I too am using those Cafelat silicone gaskets and piston seals and I do like them.

I have to source a new bore sleeve to put into the Londinium since Reiss has locked me out of his web site. Anyone know where I can get one?

spressomon

#26: Post by spressomon replying to FotonDrv »

No Espresso = Depresso

bmb

#27: Post by bmb »

CAFELAT silicone piston seals ? I could use a new backup seal set, just used the one I had.
Where can I get it ? I only found the group gasket in the web pages ...
Should be the same as the Strega's, don't they ?

Coelacanth (original poster)

#28: Post by Coelacanth (original poster) »

Dominico - your post really resonates.

I don't need a two group, but I sure like having one. People are agog when they see the chromed beast.

Your fail/awakening comments are on the money. I reckon the fails are that much harder when you have just tipped a full bag of beans down the sink!

When you purchase something like a Londinium or other great espresso machines out there, you have the benefit of knowing that achieving a phenomenal result is entirely possible - and indeed probable if you do your part.

(I've owned other machines where this was NOT the case - never again!)

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by FotonDrv »

spressomon wrote:Fracino?

http://www.fracino.com/retro.html
I looked and the pictorial/exploded view shows a CMA Group and not the Group in the photo displayed for sales. Maybe a Bosco call is in order.

dominico
Team HB

#30: Post by dominico »

Coelacanth wrote: I reckon the fails are that much harder when you have just tipped a full bag of beans down the sink!

When you purchase something like a Londinium or other great espresso machines out there, you have the benefit of knowing that achieving a phenomenal result is entirely possible - and indeed probable if you do your part.
I dropped the better part of 2 lbs of coffee down the sink in 5 days. But I take solace in the fact that I have learned a lot about how to make the lever work well with light roasts and I even managed to pull out a few shots where I went "wow, now that's what this coffee is supposed to taste like".

I'm going to drive through one more bag of lightly roasted stuff and then take a small break with easy coffees for a week or two.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?