New Compak E10 from Coffee Shop Solutions

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
charlesaf3

#1: Post by charlesaf3 »

I just bought a new E10 from coffee shop solutions, due to Nasi's really excellent customer service, and some concerns about the screen issue on the MACAP 7D. I thought pretty seriously about the Mahlkonig k30, but decided I really wanted a big conical, and a lot of people here who know what they are doing seem to have voted with their wallets for the burr set.

A question - how many pounds is required to season it, is there a consensus? Instructions claim a pound, which is a nice number, but I think a bit optimistic. The doser seems to be getting more accurate every pull.

I have to commend Nasi on really amazing customer service. So far, they, and Chris Coffee, far exceed 100% of expectations. Nice to have such great vendors available to us.

I have the collar set on 55 currently, which is surprisingly high to me. I assume it will go down with further break in?

Prescott CR

#2: Post by Prescott CR »

Looking at the .pdf from the Compak website it says the burrs are pre-seasoned.

Don't know what that means as far as how much coffee has been through them, but they should know! I wouldn't be surprised if you need to tighten the grind a little as they continue to break in but that shouldn't be a huge amount.

You'll love the Compak, solid grinders.
-Richard

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

My Compak is an older K10, and it ground fine out of the box after a 1-2 pound light roast was put through. After 20 pounds it was stable, and after 50 pounds it has a very solid grind.
LMWDP #445

charlesaf3 (original poster)

#4: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) replying to DanoM »

Thanks, that makes intuitive sense, and seems to describe where I am at 2 pounds. (As I understand it the functional parts of the 10s are all the same, it's just fanciness of doses and grind adjustment?)

Interesting on the preseasoning, that would explain the theoretical quick break in

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

charlesaf3 wrote:As I understand it the functional parts of the 10s are all the same, it's just fanciness of doses and grind adjustment?
I think that is correct, at least the burrs are similar which is relevant to the question at hand. Over the last 7 years and with the doserless models I'm sure quite a bit of the details have changed though.

Great grinders, and you'll love the results.
LMWDP #445