Maybe my Technivorm needs a better filter

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

Currently I'm using the Cilio Gold filter like this:
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/cilio ... fgodCJcHBQ

Something is just not right; I'm getting a persistent muddiness in the cup (MaCap M4 is my drip grinder)
and I've been thinking of several different things to try:
A Kone?
An oxygenated white paper filter?

Any suggestions where to start?

Susan

SonVolt

#2: Post by SonVolt »

I just purchased a Technivorm Moccamaster a few weeks ago I'm also struggling. I dunno, maybe I'm just used to the Kalita/V60, but the Tehcnivorm tastes like coffee from every other drip machine - like the coffee at work, albeit with better beans. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

SJM wrote:Currently I'm using the Cilio Gold filter like this:
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/cilio ... fgodCJcHBQ

Something is just not right; I'm getting a persistent muddiness in the cup (MaCap M4 is my drip grinder)
and I've been thinking of several different things to try:
A Kone?
An oxygenated white paper filter?

Any suggestions where to start?

Susan
Some silt is going to happen. The Cilio is a single-layer metal filter and has a lot bigger holes than, say, paper. The point is to give the coffee more body than a paper filter (and less clarity). If you want less silt, you will get less silt with a metal fabric filter or a dual-wall filter like the Driver, but that leads to a greater need for maintenance - a Cilio is pretty much maintenance-free, but a Driver needs regular soakings in Cafiza (or similar). For Kone - Sweet Maria's has a YouTube video that shows the amount of silt from the Kone - "Pour Over Party Part 2: The Results"

I have a Cilio, and I have found that tapping (banging) the filter with the coffee in it on the counter does release the fines closest to the filter edge - but I don't do this anymore. What I do now is use the Cilio with a paper filter on the outside of the Cilio. I have no idea why, but I prefer the coffee from this combo over paper alone or the Cilio alone. It could just be an artifact of my brewer (Bonavita 1500). I should probably haul out the refractometer and see what is going on, but I make drip coffee so rarely these days - maybe once a month - that I just do it that way. (I started doing this admittedly-weird practice because the local composting program originally specified coffee grounds in one bin, and the used paper filters in a separate bin. The requirements were soon changed, but I had already started separating.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

As noted above, you will get coffee silt with a metal filter. This gives you a full-flavored, full-bodied cup but there will be some muddiness due to fines that pass through the metal filter. A paper filter eliminates this muddiness, but will also filter out some of the coffee oils. I generally prefer a paper filter, but this is purely personal preference. I've had consistently good results using generic white #4 filters in my Technivorm and Breville Smart grinder. I give the filters a brief rinse before dumping in the grinds, and allow the grinds to bloom for 30 seconds, but otherwise no special treatment.

If paper filters clog with your grinder, you might give double filtering (metal and paper) a try. Otherwise, why bother?
John

SJM (original poster)

#5: Post by SJM (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote: I give the filters a brief rinse before dumping in the grinds, and allow the grinds to bloom for 30 seconds, but otherwise no special treatment.
Ah....I will try this.

I don't think the thickness of the brew is bothering me. I'm an Espro user, so thick coffee is good with me.
It's something more in a dirty-ish flavor in the middle of the mouth.
I tried the same roast in the Cilia this morning and through a Melita white filter, and I do think the Melita went a long way towards mitigating whatever the flaw is that has been in my way.

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#6: Post by cimarronEric »

Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com