Source for a heating element gasket for Mokita Cafe Creme

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
the_art_of_design

#1: Post by the_art_of_design »

Hi Everyone,

I have a Mokita Cafe Creme machine that is leaking at the boiler heating element nut. I was going to try replacing the silicone gasket first but am at odds to where to buy one.

I assume this part is fairly universal? and only the diameter of the threaded shaft is relevant.

Here is a photo for reference.

Somewhere in Canada is a bonus but I don't mind from across the border.

Thanks.

civ

#2: Post by civ »

Hello:
the_art_of_design wrote: ... was going to try replacing the silicone gasket first but am at odds to where to buy one.
May be difficult to find ...
I had the same problem once with a similar machine and with one of my Europiccolas.

You can get it solved by buying some sheet silicone or latex material of the proper thickness and cutting the piece with a set of DIY hollow punches made from any strong but thin wall tubing of the needed size. (eg. SS tubing)

Bear in mind that the size is not really too critical (ie. OD and ID can be approximate) long as it seals when tightened.

Cut a short length of tube (making sure it is squared) and then sharpen the edge slowly (with an acute angle) on a grinder with a fine stone. Obviously, you do one for the OD and another for the ID.

Lay out the material on a wood surface and carefully punch out the inside hole first.
Then center the outside with this hole (carefully) and punch.

You may also be able to get the adequate size punches at a well stocked hardware store.

But it's more fun to DIY.

Cheers,

CIV

forbeskm

#3: Post by forbeskm »

Rocket Seal in Denver carries all sizes. I am sure you can find an industrial seal house in Canada. They carry all sizes of seals food safe and not. Otherwise the option of cutting your own is there.

stefano65
Sponsor

#4: Post by stefano65 »

Looks like the same heating element used in Elektra MiniV machines and some Isomac ,
we have the o-ring if you wish to get them from us instead
you can email us with your measurement so we can double check
millimeters please
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I would call some hose and fitting places, I'm thinking they should have them, https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... ada%20hose

the_art_of_design (original poster)

#6: Post by the_art_of_design (original poster) »

To give some closure on this, I decided to take the advise of the forum and make two gaskets.

Step 1. Buy yourself some food grade silicone. I opted for the $4.99 cupcake mold from my local Canadian Tire.

Step 2. Measure the post of the heating element with a caliper then select the closest sized hollow punch from your set. I found success by using hand and rotation force rather than hitting it with a hammer. Silicone is a little springy (is that a word?) and was not getting good results.

Step 3. Select a hollow punch sized several times larger than the original hole, centre it in the new opening you just created and punch again.

Step 4. Reassemble and reinstall with your new gaskets while keeping a close eye on leaks.

I found the flat silicone sheet worked for me, I cannot say the same about anything ribbed or textured. So far so good and no leaks!

ecuew

#7: Post by ecuew »

Well done, Brandon. Glad to see you got the thing working again!!

the_art_of_design (original poster)

#8: Post by the_art_of_design (original poster) replying to ecuew »

Thanks, Eric! Turns out it was also leaking around the ceramic insulators where the threaded shoulder of the heating element tubes terminate into the electrical spade connections. It was very minor so I mixed up some JB weld and sealed up these areas as well.

Lastly, I turned the three-hole tip in to a one-hole tip, again with JB weld. I hope this will help with milk texturing.

I also found a bottomless portafilter for it a IDC in Milton! Definitely helps with distribution and tamping techniques.

bengee

#9: Post by bengee »

If ever you need some specific parts for the Mokita, try speaking to the parts department at EspressoMali over the phone. They are in Montreal but can ship. They know Mokita well and have the Avanti line which I presume is made by the same people. I have a Mokita Professional, I know they could help my out with parts but I managed to figure out the things I needed and ordered from Stefano's. By the way, I'm not sure those were gaskets put perhaps o-rings that were squished flat over time? You can find high temp rated o-rings in specialized plumping or industrial equipment stores too if you happen to have one nearby.

Indiana23

#10: Post by Indiana23 »

Good job! Thanks for posting, you gave me good ideas to repair mine. Do you know where I can find spare parts for my Mokita? I found other coffee makers with the same look: Brasilia, Capri. It seems they all come from the same manufacturer in Italy.