TJ-067 charge temperature - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JK

#11: Post by JK »

I have been trying to raise my charging temps but have problems hitting my 5+ min. end of drying time..
I leave air and gas off till 90 sec mark..

I would start with a 330° charge 28oz with a 2 - 2.25 KPA gas setting after 90 sec.
Minimum air, just enough to get fan turning then add 3-5 points of air to roast just before EOD
Check if you need to cut gas around 7 min. mark to try for a roasts no longer than 9 min. 1C
I always shoot my projection times for 8-8.5 min 1C half way though roast as more often the roast slows and I get a 9 min 1C
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

jgbnm

#12: Post by jgbnm »

For a 1 lb roast, I've been charging at around 345-370 F depending on the bean. Just started trying 1 kg roasts and have been charging at around 400 F. I've been using gas off for 90 sec. Total roast times are generally 10-11 mins for City to FC range. I'm 7380 ft elevation though and have no real sense of how that might impact anything...
The more I learn, the more I realize just how much there is to learn.

JK

#13: Post by JK »

I'm thinking not all the roasters have the exact components..
Gas jets may change some in size and thicknesses of other materials used building the roaster..

You want to hit your EOD around 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 mins and still have sufficient heat to hit a 9 min. 1C with out adding more heat and also increasing Air at end of drying period..

Danm

#14: Post by Danm replying to JK »

I've been thinking the same thing. If I charge at 400F with gas settings at 4.0 kpa, I end up with EOD (full yellow) at 3:30 at 327F. However, following Dave's Roasting 101 instructions to the letter, except with a charge of 375F will give me a profile of 4:40-3:40-2:20.
It's not really a problem at all, we just need to learn our individual machines because some seem to run a little hotter than others.

Boldjava

#15: Post by Boldjava »

Danm wrote:... except with a charge of 375F will give me a profile of 4:40-3:40-2:20.
It's not really a problem at all, we just need to learn our individual machines because some seem to run a little hotter than others.
Love the profile; trust it cups beautifully.

Couldn't agree more on "learn our individual machines..."
-----
LMWDP #339

JK

#16: Post by JK »

My Full Yellow comes at 227* also but I have Artisan add +10 to my BT so it charts at 217*